Admissions and costs to acute hospitals resulting from road traffic crashes, 2005-2009.
AffiliationDepartment of Public Health, HSE Dublin North East, Railway St, Navan, Co Meath.
Local subject classificationPUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT
HEALTH SERVICE PLANNING
Aged, 80 and over
Intensive Care Units
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAdmissions and costs to acute hospitals resulting from road traffic crashes, 2005-2009., 104 (7):199-201 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractRoad traffic crashes (RTCs) remain a leading cause of death and injury. The aim of this study was to explore the use of hospital data as a source of RTC-related injury data in Ireland, as current systems are believed to under-estimate the burden. Information on inpatient discharges for years 2005-2009, admitted with RTC-related injuries were extracted from HIPE. There were 14,861 discharges; 9,661 (65.0%) were male, with an average age of 33 years. The median length of stay was two days. The most common diagnosis was head injury (n = 4,644; 31.2%). The average inpatient hospital cost was Euro 6,395 per discharge. 1,498 (10.1%) were admitted to intensive care units. This study has identified 3.5 times more serious injuries (14,861) than identified in the Road Safety Authority (RSA) statistics (4,263) indicating that the extent of road injuries is greater than previously estimated. Hospital data could be used annually in conjunction with RSA and other data; ideally the data should be linked.
- Health consequences of road accidents: insights from local health authority registries.
- Authors: Bertoncello C, Furlan P, Baldovin T, Marcolongo A, Casale P, Cocchio S, Buja A, Baldo V
- Issue date: 2013 May-Jun
- Incidence and severity of head and neck injuries in victims of road traffic crashes: In an economically developed country.
- Authors: Bener A, Rahman YS, Mitra B
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Building national estimates of the burden of road traffic injuries in developing countries from all available data sources: Iran.
- Authors: Bhalla K, Naghavi M, Shahraz S, Bartels D, Murray CJ
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Hospital burden of road traffic injury: major concern in primary and secondary level hospitals in Bangladesh.
- Authors: Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Khan TF, Faruque M, Svanström L, Rahman F
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Characteristics of acute treatment costs of traumatic brain injury in Eastern China--a multi-centre prospective observational study.
- Authors: Yuan Q, Liu H, Wu X, Sun Y, Yao H, Zhou L, Hu J
- Issue date: 2012 Dec