H1N1 influenza in an Irish population: patterns of chest radiograph abnormality in patients testing positive.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, AMNCH, Tallaght, Dublin 24
Aged, 80 and over
Influenza A Virus, H1N1 Subtype
Severity of Illness Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationH1N1 influenza in an Irish population: patterns of chest radiograph abnormality in patients testing positive., 104 (10):298-300 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe winter of 2010/2011 saw a second peak in the number of H1N1 cases detected in Ireland. The purpose of this study was to investigate the radiological characteristics of patients diagnosed during this period. A retrospective analysis of these cases was performed. Chest radiographs were classified as normal or abnormal. A total of 37 patients were included. Of these, 22 (59%) of chest radiographs were abnormal and 15 (41%) were normal. In the 7 paediatric patients, 4 (57%) had a perihilar distribution of disease, 2 (28%) had peripherally based disease with 1 (14%) having a mixed distribution. A series of radiographs was available for 9 patients, 6 of these showed a radiographic deterioration from the initial study. The majority of chest radiographs of patients with confirmed H1N1 infection will be abnormal. In children, disease is more likely to be perihilar in distribution. Chest radiography is an important initial investigation in patients with H1N1 infection and is useful to track progression of disease in the subset of patients requiring hospitalization for severe disease.
- Chest imaging findings in hospitalized patients with H1N1 influenza.
- Authors: Jartti A, Rauvala E, Kauma H, Renko M, Kunnari M, Syrjälä H
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 1
- Swine-origin influenza a (H1N1) viral infection in children: initial chest radiographic findings.
- Authors: Lee EY, McAdam AJ, Chaudry G, Fishman MP, Zurakowski D, Boiselle PM
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in children: chest radiographic and CT evaluation.
- Authors: Choi MJ, Lee YS, Lee JY, Lee KS
- Issue date: 2010 Nov-Dec
- [Chest radiographic findings in children with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infection].
- Authors: Yan YC, Bai FS, Chen HZ, Che L, Yuan XY, Qu D, Ren XX, Zhang BY, Sun Y, Fang P
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- H1N1 influenza infection in children: Frequency, pattern, and outcome of chest radiographic abnormalities.
- Authors: Yoo SY, Kim JH, Eo H, Jeon TY, Shin KE, Shin WS, Jung HN, Kim YJ
- Issue date: 2011 Apr