AffiliationDept of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork., firstname.lastname@example.org
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2006 Oct-Dec;175(4):76-8.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Road deaths fell initially after the introduction of the penalty points but despite this, the rate of spinal injuries remained unchanged. AIMS: We report a patient with a dramatic spinal injury, though without neurological deficit. We discuss the classification, management and economic impact of these injuries. METHODS: We describe the management of a patient with a comminuted thoracic spinal fracture without neurological injury. We conducted a literature review with regard to the availability of literature of the management of these injuries. RESULTS: This 17-year-old female was managed surgically and had a good functional outcome. There is no clear consensus in the published literature on the management of these injuries. CONCLUSIONS: Comminuted thoracic spinal factures are potentially devastating. Such a patient presents challenges in determining the appropriate treatment.
- A complex thoracic fracture extending from fourth thoracic to twelfth thoracic vertebrae without neurological deficit--a case report.
- Authors: Debnath UK, De la Harpe D, Webb JK
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- [Intra-operative myelography in treatment of fractures of thoracolumbar spine].
- Authors: Tomčovčík L, Cuha R, Raši R
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Successful short-segment instrumentation and fusion for thoracolumbar spine fractures: a consecutive 41/2-year series.
- Authors: Parker JW, Lane JR, Karaikovic EE, Gaines RW
- Issue date: 2000 May 1
- Thoracic spinal cord injury without radiographic abnormality in a skeletally mature patient: a case report.
- Authors: Samsani SR, Calthorpe D, Geutjens G
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 15
- Progressive kyphotic deformity in comminuted burst fractures treated non-operatively: the Achilles tendon of the Thoracolumbar Injury Classification and Severity Score (TLICS).
- Authors: Mattei TA, Hanovnikian J, H Dinh D
- Issue date: 2014 Nov