Clinical characteristics and outcome of patients diagnosed with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: a 5-year review.
AuthorsO'Sullivan, S S
Spillane, Jennifer E
McMahon, Elaine M
Sweeney, Brian J
Galvin, Roderick J
Cassidy, Eugene M
AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
*Cost of Illness
Severity of Illness Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEpilepsy Behav. 2007 Aug;11(1):77-84. Epub 2007 May 22.
JournalEpilepsy & behavior : E&B
AbstractOBJECTIVE: The goal of this article was to describe the clinical characteristics and outcomes of patients diagnosed with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures (PNES). METHODS: We conducted a retrospective review of patients diagnosed with PNES in a 5-year period. RESULTS: Fifty patients with PNES were identified, giving an estimated incidence of 0.91/100,000 per annum. Thirty-eight were included for review, 15 of whom were male (39%). Eighteen patients had been diagnosed with epilepsy as well as PNES (47%). We demonstrated a gender difference in our patients, with males having higher seizure frequencies, more antiepileptic drug use, and a longer interval before diagnosis of PNES. Females were diagnosed with other conversion disorders more often than males. Impaired social function was observed in PNES, as was resistance to psychological interventions with a subsequent poor response to treatments. CONCLUSIONS: PNES remains a difficult condition to treat, and may affect males in proportions higher than those described in previous studies.
- [Phenomenology and psychiatric origins of psychogenic non-epileptic seizures].
- Authors: Ristić AJ, Petrović I, Vojvodić N, Janković S, Sokić D
- Issue date: 2004 Jan-Feb
- Clinical characteristics of psychogenic nonepileptic seizure status in the long-term monitoring unit.
- Authors: Dworetzky BA, Mortati KA, Rossetti AO, Vaccaro B, Nelson A, Bromfield EB
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: a current overview.
- Authors: Dickinson P, Looper KJ
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Video-EEG study of psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: differential characteristics in patients with and without epilepsy.
- Authors: Mari F, Di Bonaventura C, Vanacore N, Fattouch J, Vaudano AE, Egeo G, Berardelli A, Manfredi M, Prencipe M, Giallonardo AT
- Issue date: 2006
- Patients' and neurologists' perception of epilepsy and psychogenic nonepileptic seizures.
- Authors: Whitehead K, Kandler R, Reuber M
- Issue date: 2013 Apr