AffiliationSouth Lee Mental Health Service, GF Unit, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork,, Ireland.
Health Status Indicators
Hospitals, General/*statistics & numerical data
Sensitivity and Specificity
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2008 Dec;177(4):339-42. Epub 2008 Oct 25.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAIMS: To examine (1) the prevalence of alcohol use disorders in adult general hospital inpatients; (2) the accuracy of documentation in relation to alcohol use. METHODS: A total of 210 random patients were interviewed out of 1,448 consecutive new admissions to CUH over 7 days. Case notes were reviewed for 206 (98%). Alcohol consumption was assessed using the Fast Alcohol Screening Test (FAST) and weekly drinking diary. FAST-positive (and a random sample of FAST-negative) patients then had a standardized interview. RESULTS: A total of 82% admitted for drinking alcohol. Among them 22% were drinking in excess of guidelines, 9% had DSM-IV Alcohol Abuse and 7% dependence. The sensitivity and specificity of the FAST for detecting those drinking above guidelines were 89 and 94% and for detecting a DSM-IV diagnosis was 100 and 73%. The majority of case notes contained inadequate information about alcohol intake. CONCLUSION: Alcohol use disorders are common and often undetected in the general hospital setting.
- Screening for alcohol use disorders and at-risk drinking in the general population: psychometric performance of three questionnaires.
- Authors: Rumpf HJ, Hapke U, Meyer C, John U
- Issue date: 2002 May-Jun
- Alcohol abuse: prevalence and detection in a general hospital.
- Authors: Hearne R, Connolly A, Sheehan J
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Estimating prevalence of alcohol abuse and dependence in one general hospital: an approach to reduce sample selection bias.
- Authors: John U, Rumpf HJ, Hapke U
- Issue date: 1999 Sep-Oct
- The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT) as a screening tool for excessive drinking in primary care: reliability and validity of a French version.
- Authors: Gache P, Michaud P, Landry U, Accietto C, Arfaoui S, Wenger O, Daeppen JB
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Diagnostic usefulness of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT) questionnaire for the detection of hazardous drinking and dependence on alcohol among Spanish patients.
- Authors: de Torres LA, Rebollo EM, Ruiz-Moral R, Fernández-García JA, Vega RA, Palomino MM
- Issue date: 2009