AffiliationDepartment of Academic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland.
Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha/metabolism
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSurg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2007 Aug;17(4):256-61.
JournalSurgical laparoscopy, endoscopy & percutaneous techniques
AbstractLaparoscopic alternatives to conventional surgical procedures confer many advantages to patients including reduced postoperative pain, shortened convalescence and, perhaps, improved disease-related outcomes. The diminished degree of immune dysfunction apparent with these techniques may underpin these beneficial aspects. However, minimal access is accompanied by various ancillary anesthetic and mechanical associations (including the induction of a carbon dioxide pneumoperitoneum), which must be considered in addition to reduced tissue trauma when attempting to correlate cause with effect. Furthermore, the opportunity to establish causation between the immunomodulatory aspects of laparoscopy and subsequent clinical outcome by prospective, randomized study is difficult because of the rapid incorporation of minimal access techniques into clinical practice. Therefore, experimental in vitro and in vivo studies must be used to complement the limitations of clinical studies in this area. Although the initial investigations into the immunological effects of laparoscopy are encouraging, many of the intricacies associated with this approach still await elaboration.
- Metabolic and immunologic consequences of laparoscopy with helium or carbon dioxide insufflation: a randomized clinical study.
- Authors: Neuhaus SJ, Watson DI, Ellis T, Lafullarde T, Jamieson GG, Russell WJ
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Anesthesia for laparoscopy: a review.
- Authors: Gerges FJ, Kanazi GE, Jabbour-Khoury SI
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Laparoscopic surgery and the systemic immune response.
- Authors: Vittimberga FJ Jr, Foley DP, Meyers WC, Callery MP
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Cardiac and hemodynamic changes during carbon dioxide pneumoperitoneum for laparoscopic gynecologic surgery in Rajavithi Hospital.
- Authors: Kamolpornwijit W, Iamtrirat P, Phupong V
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Effect of laparoscopy on immune function.
- Authors: Gupta A, Watson DI
- Issue date: 2001 Oct