Possible fire hazard caused by mismatching electrical chargers with the incorrect device within the operating room.
AffiliationCardiothoracic Surgery Unit, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland., Martin.Hargrove@mailp.hse.ie
*Electric Power Supplies
*Equipment Failure Analysis
Fires/*prevention & control
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Extra Corpor Technol. 2007 Sep;39(3):199-200.
JournalThe Journal of extra-corporeal technology
AbstractIt has come to our attention that numerous devices that need charging adaptors during cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) have similar charging sockets but different voltage requirements. This has caused one of our devices in the operating theater to overheat and completely shut down when connected to an incorrect higher-voltage charger. The possibility of fire, device destruction, or patient harm in such circumstances is of serious concern.