Human Mycobacterium bovis infection in the south-west of Ireland 1983-1992: a comparison with M. tuberculosis.
AffiliationDept. of Respiratory Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Ireland.
Mycobacterium bovis/*isolation & purification
Mycobacterium tuberculosis/isolation & purification
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 1996 Mar-Apr;89(2):62-3.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractEpidemiological and bacteriological aspects of human Mycobacterium bovis disease were investigated in south-west Ireland (counties Cork & Kerry, population 536,000) over the years 1983-92 inclusive and compared to M. tuberculosis. Results showed a small, stable incidence of culture positive M. bovis human disease, mean annual incidence 0.56 per 100,000 population compared to a higher but declining incidence of culture positive M. tuberculosis (15.3 per 100,000 in 1983, 9.0 per 100,000 in 1992). Male patients were the majority, 63.4 per cent of M. bovis; 62.4% of M. tuberculosis (p = 0.03). Fifty three per cent of M. bovis cases (n = 30) were pulmonary, compared to 85% of M. tuberculosis (n = 626; p = 0.0001). M. bovis patients were older (p = 0.02), mean age 58.4 years (SD 18.9) compared to 48.5 (SD 22.2). The mycobacterial smear positive rate was similar in both groups taken as a whole. No rural-urban difference in incidence was found in either disease, suggesting in the case of M. bovis initial infection in childhood via contaminated milk in the pre-pasteurisation era.
- Bovine variants of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolated in Liverpool during the period 1969 to 1983: an epidemiological survey.
- Authors: Wilkins EG, Griffiths RJ, Roberts C
- Issue date: 1986 Jun
- Prevalence of Mycobacterium bovis in human pulmonary and extra-pulmonary tuberculosis in Madagascar.
- Authors: Rasolofo-Razanamparany V, Ménard D, Rasolonavalona T, Ramarokoto H, Rakotomanana F, Aurégan G, Vincent V, Chanteau S
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- A national survey of human Mycobacterium bovis infection in France. Network of Microbiology Laboratories in France.
- Authors: Robert J, Boulahbal F, Trystram D, Truffot-Pernot C, de Benoist AC, Vincent V, Jarlier V, Grosset J
- Issue date: 1999 Aug
- Human tuberculosis due to Mycobacterium bovis in the United States, 1995-2005.
- Authors: Hlavsa MC, Moonan PK, Cowan LS, Navin TR, Kammerer JS, Morlock GP, Crawford JT, Lobue PA
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 15
- [The role of Mycobacterium bovis in epidemiology of tuberculosis].
- Authors: Krebs A, Käppler W
- Issue date: 1982