Medial arterial calcification, calcific aortic stenosis and mitral annular calcification in a diabetic patient with severe autonomic neuropathy.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Ireland.
Aortic Valve Stenosis/*etiology
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2/*complications
Mitral Valve Stenosis/*etiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDiabet Med. 1996 Aug;13(8):768-70.
JournalDiabetic medicine : a journal of the British Diabetic Association
AbstractMedial arterial calcification (Monckeberg's arteriosclerosis) is well described in diabetic patients with autonomic neuropathy. There is also a high prevalence of diabetes mellitus among subjects with calcific aortic stenosis and mitral annular calcification. We describe a diabetic patient with autonomic neuropathy and extensive medial arterial calcification who also had calcification of the aortic valve and of the mitral valve annulus. We propose that autonomic neuropathy may play a role in calcification of these structures at the base of the heart.
- Association between diabetic-autonomic-C-fibre-neuropathy and medial wall calcification and the significance in the outcome of trophic foot lesions.
- Authors: Forst T, Pfützner A, Kann P, Lobmann R, Schäfer H, Beyer J
- Issue date: 1995
- Aortic and mitral valve calcification in patients with end-stage renal disease.
- Authors: Maher ER, Young G, Smyth-Walsh B, Pugh S, Curtis JR
- Issue date: 1987 Oct 17
- Medial arterial calcification and diabetic neuropathy.
- Authors: Edmonds ME, Morrison N, Laws JW, Watkins PJ
- Issue date: 1982 Mar 27
- Association of fetuin-A with mitral annular calcification and aortic stenosis among persons with coronary heart disease: data from the Heart and Soul Study.
- Authors: Ix JH, Chertow GM, Shlipak MG, Brandenburg VM, Ketteler M, Whooley MA
- Issue date: 2007 May 15
- Mönckeberg's sclerosis after sympathetic denervation in diabetic and non-diabetic subjects.
- Authors: Goebel FD, Füessl HS
- Issue date: 1983 May