Calcium alginate dressings promote healing of split skin graft donor sites.
AffiliationDepartment of Plastic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland.
Wound Healing/*drug effects
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Chir Plast. 1997;39(2):53-5.
JournalActa chirurgiae plasticae
AbstractA prospective controlled trial was carried out to assess the healing efficacy of calcium alginate and paraffin gauze on split skin graft donor sites. Thirty patients were randomised to the calcium alginate group and 21 to the paraffin gauze group. The donor sites were assessed at 10 days post harvesting to determine if they were completely healed (100%) or not. Twenty one of the 30 patients dressed with calcium alginate were completely healed at day 10, while only 7/21 in the paraffin gauze group were healed (p < 0.05). There were two infections in the study, both occurring in the alginate group while there was no difference in dressing slippage between the two groups. Calcium alginate dressings provide a significant improvement in healing split skin graft donor sites.
- Effects of a silicone-coated polyamide net dressing and calcium alginate on the healing of split skin graft donor sites: a prospective randomised trial.
- Authors: O'Donoghue JM, O'Sullivan ST, O'Shaughnessy M, O'Connor TP
- Issue date: 2000
- Alginate dressing and polyurethane film versus paraffin gauze in the treatment of split-thickness skin graft donor sites: a randomized controlled pilot study.
- Authors: Kaiser D, Hafner J, Mayer D, French LE, Läuchli S
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Adhesive retention dressings are more comfortable than alginate dressings on split skin graft donor sites--a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Giele H, Tong A, Huddleston S
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Treatment of donor sites--calcium alginate versus paraffin gauze.
- Authors: Basse P, Siim E, Lohmann M
- Issue date: 1992
- Efficacy and tolerance of calcium alginate versus vaseline gauze dressings in the treatment of diabetic foot lesions.
- Authors: Lalau JD, Bresson R, Charpentier P, Coliche V, Erlher S, Ha Van G, Magalon G, Martini J, Moreau Y, Pradines S, Rigal F, Wemeau JL, Richard JL
- Issue date: 2002 Jun