Microalbuminuria in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus relates to nocturnal systolic blood pressure.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine and Biochemistry, Cork University Hospital, Wilton,, Ireland.
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2/complications/*physiopathology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAm J Med. 1997 Jun;102(6):531-5.
JournalThe American journal of medicine
AbstractPURPOSE: Microalbuminuria predicts early mortality in non-insulin-dependent-diabetes mellitus patients (NIDDM). Our objective in the present study was to compare and assess the relationship between 24-hour, day and nocturnal ambulatory blood pressure (BP) and urinary albumin excretion rate (UAE) in microalbuminuric and normoalbuminuric NIDDM and in normal control subjects. PATIENTS AND METHODS: In the present cross-sectional study, 24 hour ambulatory BP (daytime BP and nocturnal BP) and HbA1c were compared in microalbuminuric (n = 10) and nonmicroalbuminuric NIDDM patients (n = 10) and in nondiabetic controls (n = 9). None of the patients were taking antihypertensive agents. RESULTS: In the microlbuminuric group, whereas 24 hour and daytime systolic BP differed significantly from control values (P < 0.025 and P < 0.05 respectively), there was no difference between diabetic groups. However, nocturnal systolic BP in the microalbuminuric group was significantly higher than in the normoalbuminuric diabetic patients (139 vs. 125) (P < 0.05) and a significant difference was also found between the NIDDM patients and the control group (139, 125 vs. 114) (P < 0.025). In multiple regression analysis, only nocturnal systolic BP showed a significant relationship with UAE (P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: We suggest that the higher nocturnal systolic blood pressure seen in our microalbuminuric NIDDM patients may contribute to the increased morbidity in this group.
- Albuminuria and 24-h ambulatory blood pressure in normoalbuminuric and microalbuminuric NIDDM patients. A longitudinal study.
- Authors: Nielsen S, Schmitz A, Poulsen PL, Hansen KW, Mogensen CE
- Issue date: 1995 Nov
- Increased night:day blood pressure ratio in microalbuminuric normotensive NIDDM subjects.
- Authors: Inaba M, Negishi K, Takahashi M, Serizawa N, Maruno Y, Takahashi K, Katayama S
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- Nondipping of nocturnal blood pressure is related to urinary albumin excretion rate in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Equiluz-Bruck S, Schnack C, Kopp HP, Schernthaner G
- Issue date: 1996 Nov
- Ambulatory blood pressure and abnormal albuminuria in type 1 diabetic patients.
- Authors: Hansen KW, Poulsen PL, Mogensen CE
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Day-night blood pressure variation in normotensive and hypertensive NIDDM patients with asymptomatic autonomic neuropathy.
- Authors: Jermendy G, Ferenczi J, Hernandez E, Farkas K, Nádas J
- Issue date: 1996 Oct