AffiliationDepartment of Geriatric Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork,, Ireland. email@example.com
Anti-Inflammatory Agents, Non-Steroidal/adverse effects
Cognition Disorders/chemically induced/diagnosis/drug therapy
Dose-Response Relationship, Drug
Drug Therapy, Combination
Hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA Reductase Inhibitors/adverse effects
Hypoglycemic Agents/adverse effects
Pharmaceutical Preparations/*adverse effects
Psychotropic Drugs/adverse effects
Sleep Disorders/chemically induced/diagnosis/drug therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCurr Psychiatry Rep. 2008 Feb;10(1):37-43.
JournalCurrent psychiatry reports
AbstractInappropriate prescribing in older people is a common condition associated with significant morbidity, mortality, and financial costs. Medication use increases with age, and this, in conjunction with an increasing disease burden, is associated with adverse drug reactions. This review outlines why older people are more likely to develop adverse drug reactions and how common the problem is. The use of different tools to identify and measure the problem is reviewed. Common syndromes seen in older adults (eg, falling, cognitive impairment, sleep disturbance) are considered, and recent evidence in relation to medication use for these conditions is reviewed. Finally, we present a brief summary of significant developments in the recent literature for those caring for older people.
- Drug cessation in complex older adults: time for action.
- Authors: van der Cammen TJ, Rajkumar C, Onder G, Sterke CS, Petrovic M
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Adverse drug reactions in special populations - the elderly.
- Authors: Davies EA, O'Mahony MS
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Adverse events with concomitant use of simvastatin or atorvastatin and thiazolidinediones.
- Authors: Alsheikh-Ali AA, Karas RH
- Issue date: 2004 Jun 1
- The causes and effects of socio-demographic exclusions from clinical trials.
- Authors: Bartlett C, Doyal L, Ebrahim S, Davey P, Bachmann M, Egger M, Dieppe P
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Concurrent use of alcohol interactive medications and alcohol in older adults: a systematic review of prevalence and associated adverse outcomes.
- Authors: Holton AE, Gallagher P, Fahey T, Cousins G
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 17