Surgical management of macular holes: results using gas tamponade alone, or in combination with autologous platelet concentrate, or transforming growth factor beta 2.
AffiliationDepartment of Ophthalmology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Blood Transfusion, Autologous
Combined Modality Therapy
Transforming Growth Factor beta/*therapeutic use
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Ophthalmol. 1997 Dec;81(12):1073-9.
JournalThe British journal of ophthalmology
AbstractBACKGROUND: Vitrectomy and gas tamponade has become a recognised technique for the treatment of macular holes. In an attempt to improve the anatomic and visual success of the procedure, various adjunctive therapies--cytokines, serum, and platelets--have been employed. A consecutive series of 85 eyes which underwent macular hole surgery using gas tamponade alone, or gas tamponade with either the cytokine transforming growth factor beta 2 (TGF-beta 2) or autologous platelet concentrate is reported. METHODS: Twenty eyes had vitrectomy and 20% SF6 gas tamponade; 15 had vitrectomy, 20% SF6 gas, and TGF-beta 2; 50 had vitrectomy, 16% C3F8 gas tamponade, and 0.1 ml of autologous platelet concentrate prepared during the procedure. RESULTS: Anatomic success occurred in 86% of eyes, with 96% of the platelet treated group achieving closure of the macular hole. Visual acuity improved by two lines or more in 65% of the SF6 only group, 33% of those treated with TGF-beta 2 and in 74% of the platelet treated group. In the platelet treated group 40% achieved 6/12 or better and 62% achieved 6/18 or better. The best visual results were obtained in stage 2 holes. CONCLUSION: Vitrectomy for macular holes is often of benefit and patients may recover good visual acuity, especially early in the disease process. The procedure has a number of serious complications, and the postoperative posturing requirement is difficult. Patients need to be informed of such concerns before surgery.
- Surgical treatment of full-thickness macular holes using autologous serum.
- Authors: Wells JA, Gregor ZJ
- Issue date: 1996
- Autologous platelet concentrate as an adjunct in macular hole healing: a pilot study.
- Authors: Korobelnik JF, Hannouche D, Belayachi N, Branger M, Guez JE, Hoang-Xuan T
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- The results of vitreous surgery for chronic macular holes.
- Authors: Thompson JT, Sjaarda RN, Lansing MB
- Issue date: 1997
- Progression of nuclear sclerosis and long-term visual results of vitrectomy with transforming growth factor beta-2 for macular holes.
- Authors: Thompson JT, Glaser BM, Sjaarda RN, Murphy RP
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- CLOSING MACULAR HOLES WITH "MACULAR PLUG" WITHOUT GAS TAMPONADE AND POSTOPERATIVE POSTURING.
- Authors: Chakrabarti M, Benjamin P, Chakrabarti K, Chakrabarti A
- Issue date: 2017 Mar