Mesenteric ischaemia after endovascular coiling of ruptured cerebral aneurysms.
AffiliationUrology Department, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Embolization, Therapeutic/*adverse effects/instrumentation
Mesenteric Vascular Occlusion/*etiology/radiography
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Neurochir (Wien). 2008 Apr;150(4):367-70; discussion 370. Epub 2008 Feb 19.
AbstractThree patients were referred to a national neurosurgical centre following CT evidence of subarachnoid haemorrhage. The three patients, who were referred from different institutions within a seven week period, were Fisher grade 3 and WFNS Grade I at all times. Angiography showed a PCOM aneurysm in one case, a ruptured Basilar tip aneurysm and an unruptured ACOM aneurysm in another case, and an ACOM aneurysm in the third case. It was decided that the aneurysms were suitable for endovascular coiling. These patients had unremarkable intraoperative catheterizations and coiling but subsequently deteriorated post-operatively due to mesenteric ischaemia. Two patients required colectomy for mesenteric ischaemia, and the third arrested secondary to sepsis from bowel perforation. We discuss the various causes that may explain this association, and we alert the neurosurgical community for this complication which has not been reported before.
- Endovascular embolization vs surgical clipping in treatment of cerebral aneurysms: morbidity and mortality with short-term outcome.
- Authors: Taha MM, Nakahara I, Higashi T, Iwamuro Y, Iwaasa M, Watanabe Y, Tsunetoshi K, Munemitsu T
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Endovascular and surgical treatment of ruptured cerebral aneurysms in pediatric patients.
- Authors: Stiefel MF, Heuer GG, Basil AK, Weigele JB, Sutton LN, Hurst RW, Storm PB
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Operative complications and differences in outcome after clipping and coiling of ruptured intracranial aneurysms.
- Authors: Ayling OG, Ibrahim GM, Drake B, Torner JC, Macdonald RL
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Delayed aneurysm rerupture following total endovascular occlusion.
- Authors: Birchall D, Khangure MS, Mcauliffe W, Thomas W
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Aneurysm location and clipping versus coiling for development of secondary normal-pressure hydrocephalus after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: Japanese Stroke DataBank.
- Authors: Yamada S, Ishikawa M, Yamamoto K, Ino T, Kimura T, Kobayashi S, Japan Standard Stroke Registry Study Group.
- Issue date: 2015 Dec