A study of suicide and attempted suicide by self-immolation in an Irish psychiatric population: an increasing problem.
AuthorsO'Donoghue, J M
Panchal, J L
O'Sullivan, S T
O'Connor, T P
Kelleher, M J
AffiliationDepartment of Plastic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland.
Burn Units/statistics & numerical data
Length of Stay
Self-Injurious Behavior/*epidemiology/prevention & control/psychology
Suicide/statistics & numerical data
Suicide, Attempted/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBurns. 1998 Mar;24(2):144-6.
JournalBurns : journal of the International Society for Burn Injuries
AbstractIn the Western World self-immolation is an uncommon but dramatic method of attempting suicide. In-patients who attempt suicide by fire-setting tend to be female with severe psychopathology. In a previous study from the South of Ireland, seven cases from a psychiatric and prison population were identified in a five year period from 1984 to 1989. This would represent an annual rate of 1.07 per cent of burns treated in the burns unit at Cork University Hospital. In this study 12 cases were identified for the years 1994 and 1995. This represents an increase of 3.5 per cent from 1.07 to 4.6 per cent of all burns treated at the same institution. Ten of these patients had a previous psychiatric history and eight of them were resident on a psychiatric ward when they committed the act. Seven of the patients were found to have a high degree of suicide intent of whom four died of their injuries, which gives a mortality rate for this group of 33 per cent. Effective prevention policies are necessary if this increasing problem is to be curtailed.
- [Self-inflicted burns in our burns center between 2011 and 2016].
- Authors: Chatelain S, Serror K, Chaouat M, Mimoun M, Boccara D
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Self-inflicted burns in the Irish National Burns Unit.
- Authors: Seoighe DM, Conroy F, Hennessy G, Meagher P, Eadie P
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Self-inflicted burns.
- Authors: Cameron DR, Pegg SP, Muller M
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Severe burn trauma from deliberate self-harm: the Sokoto experience.
- Authors: Legbo JN, Ntia IO, Opara WE, Obembe A
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Attempted suicide by self-immolation is a powerful predictive variable for survival of burn injuries.
- Authors: Forster NA, Nuñez DG, Zingg M, Haile SR, Künzi W, Giovanoli P, Guggenheim M
- Issue date: 2012 Sep-Oct