AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationQJM. 1998 Apr;91(4):303-8.
JournalQJM : monthly journal of the Association of Physicians
AbstractWhether there is an association between coeliac disease and epilepsy is uncertain. Recently, a syndrome of coeliac disease, occipital lobe epilepsy and cerebral calcification has been described, mostly in Italy. We measured the prevalence of coeliac disease in patients attending a seizure clinic, and investigated whether cerebral calcification occurred in patients with both coeliac disease and epilepsy. Screening for coeliac disease was by IgA endomysial antibody, measured by indirect immunofluorescence using sections of human umbilical cord. Of 177 patients screened, four patients were positive. All had small-bowel histology typical of coeliac disease. The overall frequency of coeliac disease in this mixed patient sample was 1 in 44. In a control group of 488 pregnant patients, two serum samples were positive (1 in 244). Sixteen patients with both coeliac disease and epilepsy, who had previously attended this hospital, were identified. No patient had cerebral calcification on CT scanning. Coeliac disease appears to occur with increased frequency in patients with epilepsy, and a high index of suspicion should be maintained. Cerebral calcification is not a feature of our patients with epilepsy and coeliac disease, and may be an ethnically-or geographically-restricted finding.
- Occipital cerebral calcifications and celiac disease: an additional case.
- Authors: Vignolo M, Taddei L, Garzia P, Naselli A, Veneselli E, Aicardi G
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- Bilateral occipital calcification, epilepsy and coeliac disease: clinical and neuroimaging features of a new syndrome.
- Authors: Magaudda A, Dalla Bernardina B, De Marco P, Sfaello Z, Longo M, Colamaria V, Daniele O, Tortorella G, Tata MA, Di Perri R
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- Coeliac disease, epilepsy, and cerebral calcifications: association with TG6 autoantibodies.
- Authors: Johnson AM, Dale RC, Wienholt L, Hadjivassiliou M, Aeschlimann D, Lawson JA
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Coeliac disease, epilepsy, and cerebral calcifications. The Italian Working Group on Coeliac Disease and Epilepsy.
- Authors: Gobbi G, Bouquet F, Greco L, Lambertini A, Tassinari CA, Ventura A, Zaniboni MG
- Issue date: 1992 Aug 22
- [A study of Gobbi's syndrome in Spanish population].
- Authors: Martínez-Bermejo A, Polanco I, Royo A, López-Martín V, Arcas J, Tendero A, Fernández-Jaén A, Pascual-Castroviejo I
- Issue date: 1999 Jul 16-31