Ovarian cancer mimicking recurrence at colorectal anastomosis: report of a case.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Cork City, Ireland.
Neoplasm Recurrence, Local/*diagnosis
Neoplasms, Second Primary/*diagnosis/pathology
Ovarian Neoplasms/*diagnosis/pathology/prevention & control
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDis Colon Rectum. 1998 Oct;41(10):1312-4; discussion 1314-5.
JournalDiseases of the colon and rectum
AbstractPURPOSE: The aim of this article is to emphasize the increased risk of developing metachronous ovarian tumors after resection of rectal cancer. METHOD AND RESULTS: We report the case of a postmenopausal female patient who, five years after anterior resection, developed a primary ovarian malignancy that invaded a rectal anastomosis and in so doing mimicked a recurrence of a Dukes A rectal cancer. To our knowledge, such an occurrence has not been described previously in the literature. CONCLUSION: This case illustrates the possible benefits of routine prophylactic oophorectomy at the time of colorectal cancer resection.
- The role of prophylactic bilateral oophorectomy at the time of initial diagnosis of a unilateral ovarian metastasis in cases with colorectal adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Yamaguchi T, Takahashi H, Kagawa R, Takeda R, Sakata S, Yamamoto M, Nishizaki D, Iwasa Y
- Issue date: 2008 Mar-Apr
- The role of prophylactic oophorectomy in women undergoing surgery for colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Banerjee S, Kapur S, Moran BJ
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Endoscopic follow-up in resected colorectal cancer patients.
- Authors: Stigliano V, Fracasso P, Grassi A, Lapenta R, Citarda F, Tomaselli G, Giannarelli D, Casale V
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Bilateral ovarian micrometastatic adenocarcinoma upon prophylactic oophorectomy concurrent with low anterior resection for rectal cancer.
- Authors: Irons R, McIntosh E, Hageboutros A, Warshal D, McClane S
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 7
- Angiosarcoma at the anastomotic site mimicking local recurrence of rectal adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Jahn SW, Liegl B, Leskowschek H, Spreizer C, Langner C
- Issue date: 2011