New lessons: Classic treatments in convulsive status epilepticus.
AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, Cork University Hospital, Cork. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Dose-Response Relationship, Drug
Status Epilepticus/*drug therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2007 Nov-Dec;100(10):618-20.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractConvulsive status epilepticus is a relatively common life-threatening illness requiring prompt intervention. There has been much debate about the appropriate protocol for management of convulsive status epilepticus. Published data on the management of this condition in Ireland is limited. Our aim was to establish if there was a structured, evidence-based or consensus-based protocol being implemented in the management of status epilepticus in our centre. We retrospectively audited all charts with a diagnosis of 'Status Epilepticus' admitted to our hospital from January 1998 to December 2002. A total of 95 episodes of convulsive status epilepticus were recorded. 34 charts were reviewed. Benzodiazepines were the drug class of first choice in 96% of patients. However, the doses of benzodiazepines used varied widely. The most frequent dose of phenytoin used was 1 gram. No one received continuous EEG monitoring during treatment of refractory status epilepticus. Overall mortality was 18%. The results of this study show that there is no consistent protocol was being followed for the management of convulsive status epilepticus in our centre. The drugs of first choice varied between diazepam and lorazepam in most cases. Although phenytoin was used as second line drug, the dose used was frequently suboptimal. We have developed a protocol for the management for convulsive status in our centre.
- Lorazepam versus diazepam-phenytoin combination in the treatment of convulsive status epilepticus in children: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Sreenath TG, Gupta P, Sharma KK, Krishnamurthy S
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- A comparison of four treatments for generalized convulsive status epilepticus. Veterans Affairs Status Epilepticus Cooperative Study Group.
- Authors: Treiman DM, Meyers PD, Walton NY, Collins JF, Colling C, Rowan AJ, Handforth A, Faught E, Calabrese VP, Uthman BM, Ramsay RE, Mamdani MB
- Issue date: 1998 Sep 17
- Re: New lessons: classic treatments in convulsive status epilepticus.
- Authors: Dardis C, Farid S, Doherty C
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- [Management of convulsive status epilepticus in infants and children].
- Authors: Hubert P, Parain D, Vallée L
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Status epilepticus in central nervous system infections: an experience from a developing country.
- Authors: Misra UK, Kalita J, Nair PP
- Issue date: 2008 Jul