Long term results of polytetrafluoroethylene in above knee femoropopliteal bypass for critical ischaemia.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Cork University Hospital.
*Blood Vessel Prosthesis Implantation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 1998 Oct-Dec;167(4):221-4.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractNinety-six consecutive above-knee femoropopliteal bypasses, using polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) preferentially, were performed for limb-threatening ischaemia. Cumulative primary graft patency was 68 per cent, 49 per cent and 36 per cent and limb salvage 93 per cent, 85 per cent and 75 per cent at 1, 3 and 5 yr respectively. As a result of poor long term survival (51 per cent at 5 yr), and the healing of remedial lesions before graft occlusion, 68 patients (72 per cent) required no further intervention. Eighteen secondary bypasses were undertaken, 12 using ipsilateral saphenous vein. In this group of elderly patients with poor life expectancy, where a limited operation is desirable, the use of PTFE provided excellent limb salvage with low morbidity. Although we can no longer justify our continued use of PTFE in every case of critical ischaemia because of its inferior patency to autogenous vein, we continue to use it preferentially in patients whose lifespan is likely to be short and in cases where a remedial lesion is present.
- Influence of a vein cuff on polytetrafluoroethylene grafts for primary femoropopliteal bypass.
- Authors: Raptis S, Miller JH
- Issue date: 1995 Apr
- A meta-analysis to compare Dacron versus polytetrafluroethylene grafts for above-knee femoropopliteal artery bypass.
- Authors: Rychlik IJ, Davey P, Murphy J, O'Donnell ME
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Patency and limb salvage for polytetrafluoroethylene bypasses with vein interposition cuffs.
- Authors: Kansal N, Pappas PJ, Gwertzman GA, Silva MB Jr, Jamil Z, Lee BC, Chan F, Padberg FT Jr, Hobson RW 2nd
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- Randomized clinical trial of distal anastomotic interposition vein cuff in infrainguinal polytetrafluoroethylene bypass grafting.
- Authors: Griffiths GD, Nagy J, Black D, Stonebridge PA
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Long-term results of PTFE trilaminate graft versus venous graft and composite graft for below-the-knee revascularization.
- Authors: Mazzaccaro D, De Febis E, Settembrini AM, Tassinari L, Carmo M, Settembrini PG
- Issue date: 2014 Oct