AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Cork University Hospital, , Ireland.
Analgesics, Non-Narcotic/diagnostic use
Psychiatric Status Rating Scales
Surgical Procedures, Elective
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Anaesth. 1998 Oct;81(4):522-5.
JournalBritish journal of anaesthesia
AbstractThe efficacy of preoperative fasting is reduced in the presence of any factor which delays gastric emptying. We examined the association between anxiety and gastric emptying in adult patients undergoing elective surgery. Immediately before operation, 21 patients completed both a Spielberger state trait inventory (used to quantify current anxiety state (STAIs) and anxiety predisposition (STAIt)), and the Amsterdam preoperative anxiety and information scale (used to quantify anxiety and need for information). Gastric emptying was measured using the paracetamol absorption technique. Four to 10 weeks later, gastric emptying and STAI were measured again. Patients were more anxious before than after operation (STAIs = mean 35.4 (SD 10.9) and 25 (4.1), respectively; P = 0.0004). Neither anxiety state (P = 0.40) nor measures of anxiety relative to anxiety predisposition (P = 0.86) influenced gastric emptying (as measured by area under the paracetamol absorption-time curve). This contrasts with previous findings that anxiety in patients with low anxiety predisposition scores delays gastric emptying.
- Effect of anxiety on gastric emptying in preoperative patients.
- Authors: Simpson KH, Stakes AF
- Issue date: 1987 May
- Preoperative gastric emptying. Effects of anxiety and oral carbohydrate administration.
- Authors: Nygren J, Thorell A, Jacobsson H, Larsson S, Schnell PO, Hylén L, Ljungqvist O
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- A model of gastric emptying using paracetamol absorption in intensive care patients.
- Authors: Tarling MM, Toner CC, Withington PS, Baxter MK, Whelpton R, Goldhill DR
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- Perioperative gastric emptying is not a predictor of early postoperative nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- Authors: Wattwil M, Thörn SE, Lövqvist A, Wattwil L, Klockhoff H, Larsson LG, Näslund I
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- Delayed postoperative gastric emptying following intrathecal morphine and intrathecal bupivacaine.
- Authors: Lydon AM, Cooke T, Duggan F, Shorten GD
- Issue date: 1999 Jun