AffiliationDept. of Paediatrics and Child Health, Cork University Hospital.
MeSHAnalysis of Variance
Asthma/epidemiology/*etiology/prevention & control
Hypersensitivity/epidemiology/*etiology/prevention & control
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 1998 Dec;91(6):203-6.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis study compared the prevalence of asthma in travelling schoolboys and settled controls to determine whether the travelling lifestyle may be a protective factor in the development of asthma. Information was collected by parental responses to the ISAAC (International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood) questionnaire. The design was a cross-sectional study with descriptive and analytical components. The subjects were six to twelve year old schoolboys from all male travelling children in Cork and from a selection of settled schoolboys. In addition the study collected information on the predictor variables--age, passive smoking and number of siblings. The questionnaire was administered to 54 travelling boys and 129 controls. The parent reported prevalence of wheeze and related symptoms were all more common in controls compared with the travelling boys. The values were significant for wheeze in the last year (31.3% v 14.8%; OR-5.6, p = 0.025), and for doctor diagnosed asthma (25.6% v 11.1%; OR = 5.1, p = 0.04). Schoolboys from travelling families have less wheeze and doctor diagnosed asthma than controls. The experience of the travelling lifestyle maybe a protective factor in the development of asthma.
- Prevalence of childhood asthma and allergy in an inner city Malaysian community: intra-observer reliability of two translated international questionnaires.
- Authors: Norzila MZ, Haifa AL, Deng CT, Azizi BH
- Issue date: 2000 Mar
- Prevalence of allergic diseases of schoolchildren in central taiwan. From ISAAC surveys 5 years apart.
- Authors: Liao MF, Liao MN, Lin SN, Chen JY, Huang JL
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Prevalence of asthma and wheeze in relation to passive smoking in Japanese children.
- Authors: Tanaka K, Miyake Y, Arakawa M, Sasaki S, Ohya Y
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Self-reported prevalence and risk factors of asthma among Korean adolescents: 5-year follow-up study, 1995-2000.
- Authors: Hong SJ, Lee MS, Sohn MH, Shim JY, Han YS, Park KS, Ahn YM, Son BK, Lee HB, Korean ISAAC Study Group.
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Epidemiology of bronchial asthma among schoolboys in Al-Khobar city, Saudi Arabia: cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Al-Dawood K
- Issue date: 2000 Dec