The biomechanical evaluation of polyester as a tension band for the internal fixation of patellar fractures.
AffiliationCork University Hospital, Ireland.
Fracture Fixation, Internal/*methods
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Med Eng Technol. 1999 Mar-Apr;23(2):53-6.
JournalJournal of medical engineering & technology
AbstractWe use a braided polyester suture in place of cerclage wire in tension band fixations. The objective of this study was to test the biomechanical properties of this technique. Sixteen cadaveric patellae were fractured and repaired by modified tension band fixation. Eight were fixed using eighteen gauge stainless steel wire as a tension band and eight using braided polyester. All specimens were subjected to tensile testing. Polyester was 75.0% as strong as wire. For dynamic testing, the patellae of seven cadaveric knees were fractured and then fixed with polyester tension bands. These were mounted in a device capable of extending the knees from 90 degrees to neutral against an applied force. None of the fixations failed. Three of the specimens fixed using 18 gauge stainless steel wire were compared with three fixed using polyester over 2000 cycles of knee flexion and extension. Polyester performed as well as wire. We conclude that polyester is an acceptable alternative to wire in tension band fixation.
- A new and effective tension-band braided polyester suture technique for transverse patellar fracture fixation.
- Authors: Hughes SC, Stott PM, Hearnden AJ, Ripley LG
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- A double button adjustable loop device is biomechanically equivalent to tension band wire in the fixation of transverse patellar fractures-A cadaveric study.
- Authors: Han F, Pearce CJ, Ng DQ, Ramruttun AK, Chong DY, Murphy D, Lim CT, Lee BC
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Fixation of patella fractures with braided polyester suture: a biomechanical study.
- Authors: Patel VR, Parks BG, Wang Y, Ebert FR, Jinnah RH
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- FiberWire is superior in strength to stainless steel wire for tension band fixation of transverse patellar fractures.
- Authors: Wright PB, Kosmopoulos V, Coté RE, Tayag TJ, Nana AD
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- A combined tension-band braided polyester and suture button technique is a valuable treatment alternative for transverse patellar fractures in athletes.
- Authors: Bukva B, D'Hooghe P, Poberaj B, Alkhelaifi K, Hutchinson M, Landreau P
- Issue date: 2019 Dec