AffiliationDepartment of Psychiatry, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork.
MeSHDatabases as Topic
Mental Health Services/*utilization
Nervous System Diseases/complications/*psychology
Neurology/*statistics & numerical data
Referral and Consultation/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2008 Oct;101(9):271-3.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe objective of the present study was to assess the activity of the Liaison Psychiatry service of Cork University Hospital in relation to all in-patient neurology referrals over a 12-month period. Of 1685 neurology admissions, 106 (6%) were referred to liaison psychiatry for assessment. 91 referrals (86%) met criteria for a psychiatric disorder according to DSM-IV, the commonest being major depression (24%) and somatoform disorder (23%). Patients with multiple sclerosis or epilepsy comprised nearly half of all referrals (48 cases; 45%). Approximately 20% of M.S. in-patients (21 cases) were referred for psychiatric assessment, with the corresponding figure in epilepsy being 25% (18 cases). Although only 106 (6%) neurology in-patients were referred to liaison psychiatry, psychiatric diagnoses were documented in 327 (20%) discharge forms, presumably reflecting previous diagnosis. The above findings indicate that psychiatric illness is common among neurology inpatients screened by liaison psychiatry yet referral rates are relatively low in terms of the overall number of neurology in-patients. Psychiatric disorders were diagnosed in 86% of referrals indicating high concordance between neurologists and liaison psychiatry regarding the presence of a psychiatric disorder.
CollectionsCork University Hospital
- Liaison psychiatry with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Authors: Wand AP, Corr MJ, Eades SJ
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Referral pattern of neurological patients to psychiatric Consultation-Liaison Services in 33 European hospitals.
- Authors: de Jonge P, Huyse FJ, Herzog T, Lobo A, Malt U, Opmeer BC, Kuiper B, Krabbendam A
- Issue date: 2001 May-Jun
- Somatoform disorders among first-time referrals to a neurology service.
- Authors: Fink P, Steen Hansen M, Søndergaard L
- Issue date: 2005 Nov-Dec
- Clinical and demographic profile of cancer patients in a consultation-liaison psychiatric service.
- Authors: Citero Vde A, Nogueira-Martins LA, Lourenço MT, Andreoli SB
- Issue date: 2003 May 5
- A psychiatric consultation/liaison clinic: follow-up of fifty-four patients referred from neurology.
- Authors: Schwartz J, Speed N, Kuskowski M
- Issue date: 1987