AffiliationDepartment of Medical Microbiology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland.
Microbial Sensitivity Tests
Polymerase Chain Reaction
Salmonella/*classification/drug effects/isolation & purification
Salmonella Infections, Animal/diagnosis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Infect. 1999 May;38(3):182-4.
JournalThe Journal of infection
AbstractOBJECTIVES: An outbreak of Salmonella tel-el-kebir occurring over a 6-month period is described in this report. This is the first outbreak of S. tel-el-kebir in the reported literature. METHODS: S. tel-el-kebir was isolated from human faecal samples using conventional laboratory methods. RESULTS: Eight patients had S. tel-el-kebir isolated from faeces. All patients were owners of, or in close contact with, pet terrapins. The terrapins were purchased in the same pet shop, where they were imported from America. The epidemiological link with these pets was confirmed, as S. tel-el-kebir was isolated from cloacal swabs from the terrapins, and from terrapin water. Molecular biology studies using DNA amplification fingerprinting (DAF) gave identical fingerprint patterns for all human and terrapin isolates. CONCLUSIONS: Salmonellosis associated with exotic pets is a re-emerging disease in the 1990s, and measures to reduce this are discussed.
- Tiny Turtles Purchased at Pet Stores are a Potential High Risk for Salmonella Human Infection in the Valencian Region, Eastern Spain.
- Authors: Marin C, Vega S, Marco-Jiménez F
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Salmonella excretion by terrapins and the associated hazard to human health.
- Authors: Clegg FC, Heath PJ
- Issue date: 1975 Jan 25
- Turtles as a Possible Reservoir of Nontyphoidal Salmonella in Shanghai, China.
- Authors: Zhang J, Kuang D, Wang F, Meng J, Jin H, Yang X, Liao M, Klena JD, Wu S, Zhang Y, Xu X
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Human salmonellosis associated with exotic pets.
- Authors: Woodward DL, Khakhria R, Johnson WM
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Reptile-associated salmonellosis.
- Authors: Austin CC, Wilkins MJ
- Issue date: 1998 Mar 15