Type 1 diabetes mellitus, coeliac disease, and lymphoma: a report of four cases.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland., email@example.com
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1/*complications/*diagnosis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDiabet Med. 1999 Jul;16(7):614-7.
JournalDiabetic medicine : a journal of the British Diabetic Association
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus have a high prevalence of coeliac disease, symptoms of which are often mild, atypical, or absent. Untreated coeliac disease is associated with an increased risk of malignancy, particularly of lymphoma. We describe four patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus and coeliac disease who developed lymphoma. CASE REPORTS: Two patients were male and two female. In three patients, coeliac disease and lymphoma were diagnosed simultaneously. Enteropathy-associated T cell lymphoma occurred in two patients, Hodgkin's disease in one, and B cell lymphoma in one. Response to treatment was in general poor, and three patients died soon after the diagnosis of lymphoma was made. CONCLUSION: As the relative risk of lymphoma is reduced by a gluten-free diet, a high index of suspicion for coeliac disease should exist in all Type 1 diabetic patients with unexplained constitutional or gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Severe clinical onset of diabetes and increased prevalence of other autoimmune diseases in children with coeliac disease diagnosed before diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Valerio G, Maiuri L, Troncone R, Buono P, Lombardi F, Palmieri R, Franzese A
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Coeliac disease and Type 1 diabetes mellitus - the case for screening.
- Authors: Holmes GK
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- The prevalence of coeliac disease in adult diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Page SR, Lloyd CA, Hill PG, Peacock I, Holmes GK
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- [Enteropathy-associated T-cell lymphoma. Manifestation as diet-refractory coeliac disease and ulcerating jejunitis].
- Authors: Bächle T, Rühl U, Ott G, Walker S
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 21
- Undiagnosed coeliac disease and risk of autoimmune disorders in subjects with Type I diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Not T, Tommasini A, Tonini G, Buratti E, Pocecco M, Tortul C, Valussi M, Crichiutti G, Berti I, Trevisiol C, Azzoni E, Neri E, Torre G, Martelossi S, Soban M, Lenhardt A, Cattin L, Ventura A
- Issue date: 2001 Feb