Type 1 diabetes mellitus, coeliac disease, and lymphoma: a report of four cases.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland., email@example.com
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1/*complications/*diagnosis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDiabet Med. 1999 Jul;16(7):614-7.
JournalDiabetic medicine : a journal of the British Diabetic Association
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus have a high prevalence of coeliac disease, symptoms of which are often mild, atypical, or absent. Untreated coeliac disease is associated with an increased risk of malignancy, particularly of lymphoma. We describe four patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus and coeliac disease who developed lymphoma. CASE REPORTS: Two patients were male and two female. In three patients, coeliac disease and lymphoma were diagnosed simultaneously. Enteropathy-associated T cell lymphoma occurred in two patients, Hodgkin's disease in one, and B cell lymphoma in one. Response to treatment was in general poor, and three patients died soon after the diagnosis of lymphoma was made. CONCLUSION: As the relative risk of lymphoma is reduced by a gluten-free diet, a high index of suspicion for coeliac disease should exist in all Type 1 diabetic patients with unexplained constitutional or gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Clinical and pathological features of 14 non-Hodgkin's lymphomas associated with coeliac disease.
- Authors: Sonet A, Théate I, Delos M, Montfort L, Mineur P, Driesschaert P, Michaux L, Ferrant A, Bosly A
- Issue date: 2004 May-Jun
- Severe clinical onset of diabetes and increased prevalence of other autoimmune diseases in children with coeliac disease diagnosed before diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Valerio G, Maiuri L, Troncone R, Buono P, Lombardi F, Palmieri R, Franzese A
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- [Enteropathy-associated T-cell lymphoma. Manifestation as diet-refractory coeliac disease and ulcerating jejunitis].
- Authors: Bächle T, Rühl U, Ott G, Walker S
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 21
- Coeliac disease and Type 1 diabetes mellitus - the case for screening.
- Authors: Holmes GK
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Coeliac disease and malignancy.
- Authors: Holmes GK
- Issue date: 2002 Mar