AuthorsWalsh, M E
Shorten, G D
AffiliationCork University Hospital and University College, Ireland.
Fiber Optic Technology/instrumentation/*methods
Hypnotics and Sedatives/administration & dosage
Intubation, Intratracheal/adverse effects/instrumentation/*methods
MetadataShow full item record
CitationYale J Biol Med. 1998 Nov-Dec;71(6):537-49.
JournalThe Yale journal of biology and medicine
AbstractFiberoptically guided tracheal intubation represents one of the most important advances in airway management to occur in the past thirty years. Perhaps its most important role is in management of the anticipated difficult airway. This is a situation in which the dangers of encountering the life-threatening "can't intubate, can't ventilate" situation can be avoided by placement of an endotracheal tube while the patient is awake. Although skill at the procedure of endoscopy is obviously necessary in this setting, these authors hold that success or failure of the technique frequently depends on the adequacy of preparation. These measures include 1) pre-operative assessment of the patient; 2) careful explanation of what lies in store; 3) "setting the stage"; 4) preparing the equipment to be used; and 5) preparing the patient (antisialogue, sedation, application of topical anesthesia to the upper airway). If these preparatory measures are carried out meticulously, the likelihood of performing a successful and comfortable awake fiberoptic tracheal intubation is greatly increased.
- Effectiveness of mouthpiece nebulization and nasal swab stick packing for topical anesthesia in awake fiberoptic nasotracheal intubation.
- Authors: Techanivate A, Leelanukrom R, Prapongsena P, Terachinda D
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- The role of the fiberscope in the critically ill patient.
- Authors: Ovassapian A, Randel GI
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- Awake Fiberoptic Intubation Protocols in the Operating Room for Anticipated Difficult Airway: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.
- Authors: Cabrini L, Baiardo Redaelli M, Ball L, Filippini M, Fominskiy E, Pintaudi M, Putzu A, Votta CD, Sorbello M, Antonelli M, Landoni G, Pelosi P, Zangrillo A
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Translaryngeal retrograde wire-guided fiberoptic intubation for difficult airway: a case report.
- Authors: Chau-In W, Pongmetha S, Sumret K, Vatanasapt P, Khongkankong W
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Awake fiberoptic or awake video laryngoscopic tracheal intubation in patients with anticipated difficult airway management: a randomized clinical trial.
- Authors: Rosenstock CV, Thøgersen B, Afshari A, Christensen AL, Eriksen C, Gätke MR
- Issue date: 2012 Jun