Technical note: the humeral canal approach to the brachial plexus.
AuthorsFrizelle, H P
AffiliationDepartment of Anesthesia, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationYale J Biol Med. 1998 Nov-Dec;71(6):585-9.
JournalThe Yale journal of biology and medicine
AbstractMany variations to the axillary approach to the brachial plexus have been described. However, the success rate varies depending on the approach used and on the definition of success. Recent work describes a new approach to regional anaesthesia of the upper limb at the humeral/brachial canal using selective stimulation of the major nerves. This report outlines initial experience with this block, describing the technique and results in 50 patients undergoing hand and forearm surgery. All patients were assessed for completeness of motor and sensory block. The overall success rate was 90 percent. Motor block was present in 80 percent of patients. Completion of the block was necessary in 5 patients. Two patients required general anaesthesia. The preponderance of ulnar deficiencies agrees with previously published data on this technique. No complications were described. Initial experience confirms the high success rate described using the Dupre technique. This technically straightforward approach with minimal complications can be recommended for regional anaesthesia of the upper limb.
- The radial nerve should be blocked before the ulnar nerve during a brachial plexus block at the humeral canal.
- Authors: Guntz E, Herman P, Delbos A, Sosnowski M
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Comparison of two different techniques for brachial plexus block: infraclavicular versus axillary technique.
- Authors: Ertug Z, Yegin A, Ertem S, Sahin N, Hadimioglu N, Dösemeci L, Erman M
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Block of the brachial plexus branches by the humeral route. A prospective study in 503 ambulatory patients. Proposal of a nerve-blocking sequence.
- Authors: Gaertner E, Kern O, Mahoudeau G, Freys G, Golfetto T, Calon B
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- [Blocking of the brachial plexus: which technique(s) should be chosen?].
- Authors: Dupré LJ
- Issue date: 1995
- Efficacy of ultrasound-guided axillary brachial plexus block: a comparative study with nerve stimulator-guided method.
- Authors: Liu FC, Liou JT, Tsai YF, Li AH, Day YY, Hui YL, Lui PW
- Issue date: 2005 Jun