Evaluation of standard haemodynamic tests of autonomic function and HbA1c as predictors of delayed gastric emptying in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Cork University Hospital, and University College Cork, Cork, Ireland.
Analgesics, Non-Narcotic/blood/diagnostic use
Area Under Curve
Autonomic Nervous System/*physiopathology
Autonomic Nervous System Diseases/physiopathology
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1/blood/complications/*physiopathology
Evaluation Studies as Topic
Hemoglobin A, Glycosylated/*analysis
Reproducibility of Results
Statistics as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Anaesthesiol. 2000 Feb;17(2):99-104.
JournalEuropean journal of anaesthesiology
AbstractWe examined the relation between chronic glycaemic control (using glycosylated haemoglobin), haemodynamic autonomic function and rate of gastric emptying in 16 patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Gastric emptying was measured using a paracetamol absorption technique. Parameters of gastric emptying include area under the plasma paracetamol concentration time curve. Patients were classified as diabetic autonomic neuropathy positive or negative using five standardized haemodynamic reflex tests. Area under the plasma paracetamol concentration time curve in the neuropathy positive (10.36 (4.5) mmol.-1. min) and negative (9.84 (3.0) mmol.-1. min) groups were similar (.P.=0.42) using unpaired Student's.t. -tests. Glycosylated haemoglobin concentration and area under the plasma paracetamol concentration time curve (.n.=16) demonstrated a Pearson's correlation co-efficient of 0.24. Neither tests of haemodynamic autonomic function, nor concentration of glycosylated haemoglobin, are predictive of diabetic gastroparesis.
CollectionsCork University Hospital
- Reduced gastric emptying and mesenteric blood flow in IDDM with cardiac autonomic neuropathy.
- Authors: Weck M, Ott P, Matthies K
- Issue date: 1997
- Delayed gastric emptying rate in Type 1 diabetics with cardiac autonomic neuropathy.
- Authors: Darwiche G, Almér LO, Björgell O, Cederholm C, Nilsson P
- Issue date: 2001 May-Jun
- The proportional cumulative area under the curve of paracetamol used as an index of gastric emptying in diabetic patients with symptoms of gastroparesis.
- Authors: van Wyk M, Sommers DK, Snyman JR, Moncrieff J
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- Slow gastric emptying in type I diabetes: relation to autonomic and peripheral neuropathy, blood glucose, and glycemic control.
- Authors: Merio R, Festa A, Bergmann H, Eder T, Eibl N, Stacher-Janotta G, Weber U, Budka C, Heckenberg A, Bauer P, Francesconi M, Schernthaner G, Stacher G
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- Chronic administration of levosulpiride and glycemic control in IDDM patients with gastroparesis.
- Authors: Melga P, Mansi C, Ciuchi E, Giusti R, Sciaba L, Prando R
- Issue date: 1997 Jan