Inappropriate prescribing in the older population: need for new criteria.
AffiliationDepartment of Geriatric Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Wilton Cork 4,, Ireland. email@example.com
MeSHAdverse Drug Reaction Reporting Systems/organization & administration
Aged, 80 and over
Dose-Response Relationship, Drug
Drug Prescriptions/*standards/statistics & numerical data
Drug Utilization/standards/statistics & numerical data
Medication Errors/*statistics & numerical data
Pharmaceutical Preparations/*adverse effects
Physician's Practice Patterns
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAge Ageing. 2008 Mar;37(2):138-41.
JournalAge and ageing
AbstractInappropriate prescribing (IP) is a common and serious global healthcare problem in elderly people, leading to increased risk of adverse drug reactions (ADRs), polypharmacy being the main risk factor for both IP and ADRs. IP in older people is highly prevalent but preventable; hence screening tools for IP have been devised, principally Beers' Criteria and the Inappropriate Prescribing in the Elderly Tool (IPET). Although Beers' Criteria have become the most widely cited IP criteria in the literature, nevertheless, they have serious deficiencies, including several drugs that are rarely prescribed nowadays, a lack of structure in the presentation of the criteria and omission of several important and common IP instances. New, more up-to-date, systems-based and easily applicable criteria are needed that can be applied in the routine clinical setting.
- Inappropriate prescribing in the elderly: a comparison of the Beers criteria and the improved prescribing in the elderly tool (IPET) in acutely ill elderly hospitalized patients.
- Authors: Barry PJ, O'Keefe N, O'Connor KA, O'Mahony D
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Potentially inappropriate prescribing in an Irish elderly population in primary care.
- Authors: Ryan C, O'Mahony D, Kennedy J, Weedle P, Byrne S
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Inappropriate prescribing in an acutely ill population of elderly patients as determined by Beers' Criteria.
- Authors: Gallagher PF, Barry PJ, Ryan C, Hartigan I, O'Mahony D
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Appropriate prescribing in the elderly: an investigation of two screening tools, Beers criteria considering diagnosis and independent of diagnosis and improved prescribing in the elderly tool to identify inappropriate use of medicines in the elderly in primary care in Ireland.
- Authors: Ryan C, O'Mahony D, Kennedy J, Weedle P, Barry P, Gallagher P, Byrne S
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- [Detection of inappropriate medication use in the elderly; will the STOPP and START criteria become the new Dutch standards?].
- Authors: Vermeulen Windsant-van den Tweel AM, Verduijn MM, Derijks HJ, van Marum RJ
- Issue date: 2012