Evaluation of the effects of levobupivacaine on clotting and fibrinolysis using thromboelastography.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Cork University Hospital, and University College Cork, Ireland.
Blood Coagulation/*drug effects
Blood Patch, Epidural
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Anaesthesiol. 2000 Jun;17(6):373-8.
JournalEuropean journal of anaesthesiology
AbstractAmide local anaesthetics inhibit platelet function. We hypothesized that residual anaesthetic in the epidural space could decrease efficacy of an epidural blood patch in preventing postdural puncture headache. Levobupivacaine has recently been approved for epidural anaesthesia. Its effects on coagulation have not previously been studied. The aim of this study was to determine the effects of levobupivacaine on clotting using thromboelastography. Ten ASA Class I volunteers were studied. Venous blood samples were analysed using a Haemoscope 2000D TEG analyser. Whole blood, a 50% saline control and two levobupivacaine solutions (2.5 mg mL(-1) and 2.5 microg mL(-1) in blood) were compared. The former reproduces that produced in the epidural space by blood (20 mL for an epidural blood patch) and levobupivacaine 0.5% (20 mL). The latter approximates plasma concentrations following epidural injection of levobupivacaine 0.5% (20 mL). P < 0.05 was considered significant. Maximum amplitude (MA), a measure of clot strength, is decreased by levobupivacaine 2.5 mg mL(-1). Levobupivacaine 2.5 mg mL(-1) decreases clot strength and may reduce efficacy of a prophylactic epidural blood patch.
- The effects of ropivacaine hydrochloride on coagulation and fibrinolysis. An assessment using thromboelastography.
- Authors: Porter JM, McGinley J, O'Hare B, Shorten GD
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- In vitro effects of local anaesthetics on the thromboelastographic profile of parturients.
- Authors: Siau C, Ng HP, Tan GM, Ho BS, Pua HL
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Does prior administration of enoxaparin influence the effects of levobupivacaine on blood clotting? Assessment using the Thrombelastograph.
- Authors: Leonard SA, Lydon A, Walsh M, Fleming C, Boylan J, Shorten GD
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Bupivacaine inhibits whole blood coagulation in vitro.
- Authors: Kohrs R, Hoenemann CW, Feirer N, Durieux ME
- Issue date: 1999 Jul-Aug
- Clinical effects and maternal and fetal plasma concentrations of 0.5% epidural levobupivacaine versus bupivacaine for cesarean delivery.
- Authors: Bader AM, Tsen LC, Camann WR, Nephew E, Datta S
- Issue date: 1999 Jun