Balloon dacryocystoplasty study in the management of adult epiphora.
AffiliationDepartment of Ophthalmology, Cork University Hospital, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Lacrimal Duct Obstruction/pathology/*therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEye (Lond). 2001 Feb;15(Pt 1):67-9.
JournalEye (London, England)
AbstractPURPOSE: To determine the efficacy of dacryocystoplasty with balloon dilation in the treatment of acquired obstruction of the nasolacrimal system in adults. METHODS: Balloon dacryocystoplasty was performed in 52 eyes of 42 patients under general anaesthetic. A Teflon-coated guidewire was introduced through the canaliculus and manipulated through the nasolacrimal system and out of the nasal aperture. A 4 mm wide 3 cm coronary angioplasty balloon catheter was threaded over the guidewire in a retrograde fashion and dilated at the site of obstruction. RESULTS: There was complete obstruction in 30% of cases and partial obstruction in 70%. The most common site of obstruction was the nasolacrimal duct. The procedure was technically successful in 94% of cases. The overall re-obstruction rate was 29% within 1 year of the procedure. There was an anatomical failure rate of 17% for partial obstruction and 69% for complete obstruction within 1 year. CONCLUSIONS: Balloon dacryocystoplasty has a high recurrence rate. There may be a limited role for this procedure in partial obstructions. Further refinements of the procedure are necessary before it can be offered as a comparable alternative to a standard surgical dacryocystorhinostomy.
- Long-term results of balloon dacryocystoplasty: success rates according to the site and severity of the obstruction.
- Authors: Konuk O, Ilgit E, Erdinc A, Onal B, Unal M
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- The treatment of epiphora with balloon dacryocystoplasty.
- Authors: Robinson R, Turner N, Brettle P, Chell PB, Chavda SV, Murray PI
- Issue date: 1993
- [Balloon dacryocystoplasty in the treatment of congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction after previous unsuccessful surgery].
- Authors: Yu G, Hu M, Wu Q, Cao WH, Fan YW, Lin Q, Liu W
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Balloon catheter dilatation of common canaliculus stenoses.
- Authors: Lachmund U, Ammann-Rauch D, Forrer A, Petralli C, Remonda L, Roeren T, Vonmoos F, Wilhelm K
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Treatment of obstructive epiphora in adults by balloon dacryocystoplasty.
- Authors: Yazici Z, Yazici B, Parlak M, Erturk H, Savci G
- Issue date: 1999 Jun