Amniotic fluid embolism and isolated coagulopathy: atypical presentation of amniotic fluid embolism.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Cork University Hospital, and University College Cork, Wilton, Cork, Republic of Ireland.
Blood Coagulation Disorders/*complications/diagnosis/therapy
Embolism, Amniotic Fluid/*complications/diagnosis/therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Anaesthesiol. 2001 Jun;18(6):410-3.
JournalEuropean journal of anaesthesiology
AbstractA 41-year-old multigravida presented at 32 weeks of gestation with polyhydramnios and an anencephalic fetus. Abnormal bleeding as a result of disseminated intravascular coagulation complicated an emergency Caesarean section for severe abdominal pain thought to be due to uterine rupture. Massive transfusion with blood products was necessary and the abdomen packed to control bleeding. The patient was transferred to the intensive care unit where she made a slow but complete recovery. Amniotic fluid embolism with atypical presentation of isolated coagulopathy is the likely diagnosis in this case. The case serves to demonstrate that amniotic fluid embolism may present with symptoms and signs other than the classical pattern of dyspnoea, cyanosis and hypotension.
- Amniotic fluid embolism during caesarean section.
- Authors: Tramoni G, Valentin S, Robert MO, Sergeant MV, Branche P, Duperret S, Clement HJ, Lopez F, Boisson C, Audra P, Rudigoz RC, Viale JP
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Unresponsive primipara after rupture of membranes.
- Authors: Buechel J, Berset A, Lehmann MA, Lapaire O
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 16
- Amniotic fluid embolism with isolated coagulopathy: a case report.
- Authors: Yang JI, Kim HS, Chang KH, Ryu HS, Joo HJ
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Amniotic fluid embolism: a syndrome of intravascular coagulation.
- Authors: Abbott PD, Walker BH
- Issue date: 1970 Nov
- Presumed antepartum amniotic fluid embolism.
- Authors: Kent KJ, Cooper BC, Thomas KW, Zlatnik FJ
- Issue date: 2003 Sep