The effect of the anaesthetic agent isoflurane on the rate of neutrophil apoptosis in vitro.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Cork University Hospital, , University College Cork, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2001 Jan-Mar;170(1):41-4.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Volatile anaesthetic agents influence neutrophil function, and potentially, the inflammatory response to surgery. AIM: The objective of this study was to determine the effect of isoflurane (1-4%) on human polymorphonuclear neutrophil apoptosis in vitro. METHODS: Venous blood from 12 healthy volunteers was exposed to 0, 1, and 4% isoflurane delivered via a 14G Wallace flexihub internal jugular cannula, at a fresh gas flow of 0.51/min for 5 minutes. Isolated neutrophils were assessed for apoptosis at 1, 12, and 24 hours in culture using dual staining with annexin V-FITC and propidium iodide (Annexin-V FITC assay). Data were analysed using paired, one-tailed Student's t-tests. p<0.05 was considered significant. RESULTS: At 1 hour apoptosis was inhibited in the 1% (5.1 [6.8]%; p=0.017) and 4% (4.8 [4.5]%; p=0.008) isoflurane groups compared to control (11.3 [6.9]%). At 12 and 24 hours, a dose-dependent inhibition of apoptosis was demonstrated, i.e. 4% > 1% > 0%. CONCLUSION: Human neutrophil apoptosis is inhibited in a concentration-dependent manner in vitro by isoflurane in clinical concentrations.
- Effects of chronic occupational exposure to anaesthetic gases on the rate of neutrophil apoptosis among anaesthetists.
- Authors: Tyther R, Halligan M, Wang J, Redmond HP, Shorten G
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- Effect of sevoflurane on human neutrophil apoptosis.
- Authors: Tyther R, O'Brien J, Wang J, Redmond HP, Shorten G
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Neutrophils pretreated with volatile anesthetics lose ability to cause cardiac dysfunction.
- Authors: Hu G, Vasiliauskas T, Salem MR, Rhone DP, Crystal GJ
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Inhalation anesthetics induce apoptosis in normal peripheral lymphocytes in vitro.
- Authors: Matsuoka H, Kurosawa S, Horinouchi T, Kato M, Hashimoto Y
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- Does chronic occupational exposure to volatile anesthetic agents influence the rate of neutrophil apoptosis?
- Authors: Goto Y, Gallagher J, Fanning N, Wang J, McCusker S, Redmond P, Shorten G
- Issue date: 2000 Apr