AuthorsQuigley, E M
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Central Sciences Building,, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Graft Rejection/complications/drug therapy/prevention & control
Immunosuppressive Agents/therapeutic use
Organ Transplantation/*adverse effects/methods/physiology/trends
Parenteral Nutrition, Total/adverse effects
Sepsis/complications/prevention & control
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCurr Gastroenterol Rep. 2001 Oct;3(5):408-11.
JournalCurrent gastroenterology reports
AbstractThe past few years have witnessed a considerable shift in the clinical status of intestinal transplantation. A great deal of experience has been gained at the most active centers, and results comparable with those reported at a similar stage in the development of other solid-organ graft programs are now being achieved by these highly proficient transplant teams. Rejection and its inevitable associate, sepsis, remain ubiquitous, and new immunosuppressant regimes are urgently needed; some may already be on the near horizon. The recent success of isolated intestinal grafts, together with the mortality and morbidity attendant upon the development of advanced liver disease related to total parenteral nutrition, has prompted the bold proposal that patients at risk for this complication should be identified and should receive isolated small bowel grafts before the onset of end-stage hepatic failure. The very fact that such a suggestion has begun to emerge reflects real progress in this challenging field.
- Intestinal transplantation: a review.
- Authors: Desai CS, Khan KM, Girlanda R, Fishbein TM
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- [Indications and results of small bowel transplantation in adults].
- Authors: Joly F, Panis Y
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Current status of small bowel transplantation in children: update 2003.
- Authors: Mittal NK, Tzakis AG, Kato T, Thompson JF
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- Gut failure and abdominal visceral transplantation.
- Authors: Abu-Elmagd K, Bond G
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Small bowel transplant: an evidence-based analysis.
- Authors: Medical Advisory Secretariat.
- Issue date: 2003