Does prior administration of enoxaparin influence the effects of levobupivacaine on blood clotting? Assessment using the Thrombelastograph.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Cork University Hospital, and University College, Ireland.
Blood Coagulation/*drug effects
Dose-Response Relationship, Drug
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Anaesth. 2001 Jun;86(6):808-13.
JournalBritish journal of anaesthesia
AbstractThe low molecular weight heparin, enoxaparin (by inhibition of factors Xa and IIa) and amide local anaesthetics (by altering platelet function) exert anti-clotting effects. Although these agents are often used in combination during the perioperative period, their potential interactive effect on clotting has not been defined. Blood from 10 ASA I-II patients who received enoxaparin 0.5 mg kg(-1) s.c. was studied using a Thrombelastograph (TEG) either alone or in combination with levobupivacaine (2.5 mg ml(-1) or 2.5 microg ml(-1)) or saline (50% dilution). In blood from patients who had received enoxaparin 0.5 mg kg(-1) s.c. 12 h previously, levobupivacaine 2.5 mg ml(-1) (but not 2.5 microg ml(-1)) produced significant changes in TEG clotting parameters (mean (SD) 15.7 (4.8) mm, 29.6 (25.6) mm, 34.4 (14.6) mm, 34.3 (12.2) degrees compared with control values of 6.1 (1.3) mm, 2.5 (0.5) mm, 63.5 (6.4) mm and 74.1 (2.9) degrees for r, K, MA, and alpha angle respectively).
- Evaluation of the effects of levobupivacaine on clotting and fibrinolysis using thromboelastography.
- Authors: Leonard SA, Walsh M, Lydon A, O'Hare B, Shorten GD
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Thromboelastography as a perioperative measure of anticoagulation resulting from low molecular weight heparin: a comparison with anti-Xa concentrations.
- Authors: Klein SM, Slaughter TF, Vail PT, Ginsberg B, El-Moalem HE, Alexander R, D'Ercole F, Greengrass RA, Perumal TT, Welsby I, Gan TJ
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Effect of ketorolac, bupivacaine and low-dose heparin on thrombelastographic variables in vitro.
- Authors: Gibbs NM, Sear JW
- Issue date: 1995 Jul
- Effects of unfractionated heparin, low-molecular-weight heparin, and heparinoid on thromboelastographic assay of blood coagulation.
- Authors: Zmuda K, Neofotistos D, Ts'ao CH
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Lidocaine and bupivacaine exert differential effects on whole blood coagulation.
- Authors: Tobias MD, Henry C, Augostides YG
- Issue date: 1999 Feb