AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Epilepsy/*epidemiology/etiology/mortality/prevention & control
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2002 Feb;95(2):47-9.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractLate onset epilepsy is increasing in incidence. These patients often have significant underlying morbidity. This retrospective study in a tertiary referral centre identified 68 patients aged 65 years or older, with new onset seizures over a four-year period. 81% of patients (n = 55) were followed up at an average of 2.7 years post diagnosis. 38% of patients had evidence of cerebrovascular disease (CT visualised focal infarction, haemorrhage or small vessel ischaemia in 32%, clinical diagnosis with normal CT brain in 6%). No patient was found to have a space-occupying lesion. Of the 55 patients followed up, 45% of these had died at a mean age of 82 years old and 1.9 years post diagnosis (range 12 hours to 5 years). Three patients died as a direct result of seizures (trauma and sepsis). 14 patients died of clearly unrelated causes. Eight patients died from underlying vascular disease or Alzheimer's dementia. Patients who died during follow-up were on average 3.4 years older at the time of diagnosis than survivors (p< 0.05). Patients with atrial fibrillation at the time of diagnosis, had increased mortality (relative risk 2.53; 95% C.I. 1.19 - 5.36), but they were older than those without atrial fibrillation. At the time of follow up, 92% of those taking anti-convulsants were maintained seizure free on anticonvulsant monotherapy.
- Emergency gastric ulcer complications in elderly. Factors affecting the morbidity and mortality in relation to therapeutic approaches.
- Authors: Di Carlo I, Toro A, Sparatore F, Primo S, Barbagallo F, Di Blasi M
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- New-onset temporal lobe epilepsy in children: lesion on MRI predicts poor seizure outcome.
- Authors: Spooner CG, Berkovic SF, Mitchell LA, Wrennall JA, Harvey AS
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 26
- Predictors of intractable childhood epilepsy.
- Authors: Malik MA, Hamid MH, Ahmed TM, Ali Q
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Levetiracetam monotherapy for late poststroke seizures in the elderly.
- Authors: Kutlu G, Gomceli YB, Unal Y, Inan LE
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Mortality of epilepsy in developed countries: a review.
- Authors: Forsgren L, Hauser WA, Olafsson E, Sander JW, Sillanpää M, Tomson T
- Issue date: 2005