Tumor lysis syndrome following endoscopic radiofrequency interstitial thermal ablation of colorectal liver metastases.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Cork University Hospital, University College Cork, Cork,, Ireland.
Catheter Ablation/*adverse effects/methods
Tumor Lysis Syndrome/*etiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSurg Endosc. 2002 Jul;16(7):1109. Epub 2002 Apr 9.
AbstractRadiofrequency interstitial thermal ablation (RITA) provides a palliative option for patients suffering from metastatic liver disease. This procedure can be performed using a laparoscopic approach with laparoscopic ultrasound used to position the RITA probe. We describe a case of laparoscopic RITA performed for colorectal liver metastasis that was complicated by tumor lysis syndrome (TLS) following treatment. We consider RITA to be a safe procedure, as supported by the literature, but where intracorporal tumor lysis is the treatment goal we believe that the systemic release of tumor products can overwhelm the excretory capacity; therefore, TLS is an inevitable consequence in some patients.
- Treatment of colorectal cancer with synchronous bilobar liver metastases with simultaneous bowel and liver resection plus radiofrequency ablation.
- Authors: Julianov A, Karashmalakov A, Rachkov I, Hristov H
- Issue date: 2004 May-Jun
- [Endoscopic radiofrequency ablation for liver metastasis of colorectal cancer].
- Authors: Takahashi M, Nitta H, Sasaki A, Fujita T, Obuchi T, Hoshikawa K, Otsuka K, Kawamura H, Higuchi T, Asahi H, Saito K
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Clinical short-term results of radiofrequency ablation in patients with liver metastases from colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Basdanis G, Michalopoulos A, Papadopoulos V, Tzeveleki I, Efthimiadis Ch, Kosmidis Ch, Mekras D, Harlaftis N
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Radiofrequency ablation of colorectal hepatic metastases.
- Authors: Guenette JP, Dupuy DE
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15
- Simultaneous percutaneous right portal vein embolization and left liver tumor radiofrequency ablation prior to a major right hepatic resection for bilateral colorectal metastases.
- Authors: Elias D, Santoro R, Ouellet JF, Osmak L, de Baere T, Roche A
- Issue date: 2004 Nov-Dec