AffiliationCork University Hospital, University College Cork, Department of Anaesthesia and , Intensive Care Medicine, Cork City, Ireland.
Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Anaesthesiol. 2002 Aug;19(8):550-9.
JournalEuropean journal of anaesthesiology
AbstractIschaemia reperfusion injury is a common and important phenomenon that occurs predictably in patients undergoing such procedures as cardiopulmonary bypass, thrombolysis, surgery under tourniquet, organ transplantation or embolectomy. Oxidative stress and the resulting lipid peroxidation play a major role in reperfusion injury. Membrane and cellular dysfunction result and, subsequently, organ injury or failure may ensue. Traditional methods of quantifying ischaemia reperfusion injury, including measurement of malondialdehyde, lack specificity and sensitivity. It was reported in 1990 that isoprostanes, a series of prostaglandin-like compounds, are produced by the free radical-catalyzed peroxidation of arachidonic acid. Measurement of the isoprostane concentration in urine or plasma provides the most reliable, non-invasive method currently available to assess oxidative stress in vivo. Serial measurement of isoprostanes in biological fluids has enhanced our understanding of the mechanisms underlying ischaemia reperfusion injury itself and its role in certain diseases. Furthermore, measurement of the isoprostane concentration provides a means to assess the effects of prophylactic and therapeutic interventions. In the future, the development of rapid, simple assays for isoprostanes offers the potential to assess prognosis during and after ischaemia reperfusion events.
- [Isoprostanes, biomarkers of lipid peroxidation in humans. Part 2: Quantification methods].
- Authors: Berdeaux O, Scruel O, Durand T, Cracowski JL
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- F2-isoprostanes biomarkers of lipid peroxidation: their utility in evaluation of oxidative stress induced by toxic agents.
- Authors: Piłacik B, Nofer TW, Wasowicz W
- Issue date: 2002
- Enzyme immunoassay of isoprostanes.
- Authors: Callewaert DM, Sloan C
- Issue date: 2010
- [Biomarkers of lipid peroxidation: analytical aspects].
- Authors: Michel F, Bonnefont-Rousselot D, Mas E, Drai J, Thérond P
- Issue date: 2008 Nov-Dec