Trends in antimicrobial susceptibility among isolates of Campylobacter species in Ireland and the emergence of resistance to ciprofloxacin.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Microbiology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland.
Campylobacter coli/*drug effects/isolation & purification
Campylobacter jejuni/*drug effects/genetics/isolation & purification
Polymerase Chain Reaction
MetadataShow full item record
CitationVet Rec. 2002 Sep 14;151(11):317-20.
JournalThe Veterinary record
AbstractMeasurements were made of the susceptibility to six commonly prescribed antibiotics, including erythromycin, tetracycline and ciprofloxacin, of 130 isolates of Campylobacterjejuni and 15 isolates of Campylobacter coli cultured from human and poultry sources during 2000. The results were compared with the results from a collection of strains isolated between 1996 and 1998. The levels of resistance to erythromycin remained low, 2 per cent and 4.4 per cent for the human and poultry isolates, respectively. Resistance to tetracycline had increased to 31 per cent and 24.4 per cent from 13.9 per cent and 18.8 per cent for the human and poultry isolates, respectively. However, the resistance to ciprofloxacin of the strains isolated during 2000 had increased to 30 per cent, whereas between 1996 and 1998 there had been no resistance to this agent among human isolates, and only 3.1 per cent resistance among poultry isolates. The molecular basis for this resistance has been shown to be the result of a single amino acid substitution, Thr-86-Ile, in the gyrA subunit of DNA gyrase in Cjejuni. A subset of 59 isolates was tested by molecular methods and all of the 25 phenotypically resistant isolates possessed this substitution. None of the human isolates had been treated with ciprofloxacin before their laboratory isolation.
- Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli isolated from children and environmental sources in urban and suburban areas.
- Authors: Szczepanska B, Andrzejewska M, Spica D, Klawe JJ
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 4
- Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Campylobacter spp. isolated from poultry carcasses in Poland.
- Authors: Wieczorek K, Kania I, Osek J
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Antimicrobial Resistance of Campylobacter Species Isolated from Broilers in Live Bird Markets in Shanghai, China.
- Authors: Li B, Ma L, Li Y, Jia H, Wei J, Shao D, Liu K, Shi Y, Qiu Y, Ma Z
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Single or double mutational alterations of gyrA associated with fluoroquinolone resistance in Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli.
- Authors: Bachoual R, Ouabdesselam S, Mory F, Lascols C, Soussy CJ, Tankovic J
- Issue date: 2001 Fall
- [Antimicrobial Susceptibility and Resistance Mutations in Campylobacter jejuni and C. coli Isolates from Human and Meat Sources].
- Authors: Oishi A, Murakami K, Etoh Y, Sera N, Horikawa K
- Issue date: 2015 Mar