The effects of concurrent atorvastatin therapy on the pharmacokinetics of intravenous midazolam.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia, Cork University Hospital, Ireland., email@example.com
Hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA Reductase Inhibitors/pharmacology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAnaesthesia. 2003 Sep;58(9):899-904.
AbstractMidazolam is a commonly used anaesthetic agent and is metabolised by the 3A4 isoform of the cytochrome P450 enzyme system. Atorvastatin is also metabolised by cytochrome P450 3A4 and, in vitro, atorvastatin inhibits the cytochrome P450 3A4-mediated metabolism of mexazolam. We hypothesised that concurrent administration of atorvastatin and midazolam would result in altered midazolam pharmacokinetics. Fourteen patients scheduled to undergo general anaesthesia for elective surgery were recruited in a matched pair design to receive intravenous midazolam (0.15 mg.kg-1). Of these patients, seven were taking long-term atorvastatin. Atorvastatin patients demonstrated a greater area under the curve (889.4 (standard deviation 388.6) ng-h.ml-1) vs. control patients (629.1 (standard deviation 197.2) ng-h.ml-1) (p < 0.05). Patients taking atorvastatin also demonstrated a decreased clearance (0.18 (standard deviation 0.08) l-kg. h-1) vs. control patients (0.27 (standard deviation 0.08) l-kg.h-1) (p < 0.05). This study suggests that chronically administered atorvastatin decreases the clearance of intravenously administered midazolam.
- Effect of atorvastatin and fluvastatin on the metabolism of midazolam by cytochrome P450 in vitro.
- Authors: Mc Donnell CG, Shorten G, Van Pelt FN
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Elimination of alfentanil delivered by infusion is not altered by the chronic administration of atorvastatin.
- Authors: McDonnell CG, Malkan D, Van Pelt FD, Shorten GD
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Influence of atorvastatin on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of glyburide in normal and diabetic rats.
- Authors: Neerati P, Gade J
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 14
- Effect of atorvastatin on serum uric acid levels.
- Authors: Kakafika A, Tsimihodimos V, Elisaf M
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Effect of atorvastatin on the intravenous and oral pharmacokinetics of verapamil in rats.
- Authors: Choi DH, Chang KS, Hong SP, Choi JS, Han HK
- Issue date: 2008 Jan