AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Predictive Value of Tests
*Severity of Illness Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2003 Apr-Jun;172(2):63-5.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAIM: To validate an intraoperative appendicitis severity score (IASS) and examine outcome following emergency appendectomy. METHODS: A prospective study was undertaken, enrolling consecutive patients undergoing emergency appendicectomy. Data were obtained independently on preoperative Alvarado scores, IASS (0-3: 0 no inflammation, 1 engorged appendix/no peritonitis, 2 peritoneal reaction/exudate or 3 evidence of perforation/abscess) and postoperative outcome parameters. RESULTS: There were 149 patients identified with a mean age of 20.7 years. There was no association between Alvarado score and length of hospital stay, septic complication, patient sex or duration of symptoms (p>0.05). IASS was found to be an independent risk factor for septic complication, wound infection (p<0.05) and length of hospital stay (p<0.001). There was no correlation between preoperative duration of symptoms or time until surgery and intraoperative score. CONCLUSIONS: This simple scoring system can identify patients more likely to suffer morbidity following emergency appendicectomy. Specifically, this system identifies patients who have a high risk of sepsis and therefore could be of use when comparing healthcare performance.
- Is early appendectomy in adults diagnosed with acute appendicitis mandatory? A prospective study.
- Authors: Abu Foul S, Egozi E, Assalia A, Kluger Y, Mahajna A
- Issue date: 2019
- Negative appendicectomy: evaluation of ultrasonography and Alvarado score.
- Authors: Kundiona I, Chihaka OB, Muguti GI
- Issue date: 2015 Sep-Dec
- Modified Alvarado Scoring System as a diagnostic tool for acute appendicitis at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania.
- Authors: Kanumba ES, Mabula JB, Rambau P, Chalya PL
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 17
- Alvarado score as an admission criterion in children with pain in right iliac fossa.
- Authors: Shreef KS, Waly AH, Abd-Elrahman S, Abd Elhafez MA
- Issue date: 2010 Sep-Dec
- Prevention of intra-abdominal abscess following laparoscopic appendicectomy for perforated appendicitis: a prospective study.
- Authors: Hussain A, Mahmood H, Nicholls J, El-Hasani S
- Issue date: 2008 Oct