AffiliationDepartment of Geriatric Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Drug Utilization/statistics & numerical data
*Health Services for the Aged
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2003 Apr-Jun;172(2):66-8.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Elderly patients in long-term care units are frailer than their community-dwelling peers and may be more at risk from toxic side-effects of anticonvulsant medication at standard doses. AIM: To examine the prescribing of anticonvulsants to patients in elderly care units. METHODS: Drug prescription sheets and case notes were reviewed. Serum anticonvulsant concentration, renal and liver profiles and albumin level were measured. RESULTS: Anticonvulsants were prescribed to twice as many male as female patients (32 vs 14%; p<0.03) and to 33% of those younger than 80 years of age versus 10% of those aged 80 years or older (p<0.0002). No patient had significant hypoalbuminaemia and routine measurement of serum anticonvulsant concentration did not indicate an alteration of dosage. CONCLUSIONS: Anticonvulsants appear to be well tolerated in these patients. The younger age of those receiving anticonvulsants is inadequately explained by the characteristics of the patient cohort and may reflect a shift towards a younger age in patients requiring anticonvulsants due to increased mortality in this group.
- An epidemiological investigation of off-label anticonvulsant drug use in the Georgia Medicaid population.
- Authors: Chen H, Deshpande AD, Jiang R, Martin BC
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Association between consistent purchase of anticonvulsants or lithium and suicide risk: a longitudinal cohort study from Denmark, 1995-2001.
- Authors: Smith EG, Søndergård L, Lopez AG, Andersen PK, Kessing LV
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Anticonvulsants in pregnancy.
- Authors: Kilpatrick CJ, Moulds RF
- Issue date: 1991 Feb 4
- Changes in anticonvulsant prescribing for Australian children: implications for Quality Use of Medicines.
- Authors: Cohen SA, Lawson JA, Graudins LV, Pearson SA, Gazarian M
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Antiepileptic drug use in community-dwelling and institutionalized elderly: a nationwide study of over 1,300,000 older people.
- Authors: Johnell K, Fastbom J
- Issue date: 2011 Oct