Elimination of alfentanil delivered by infusion is not altered by the chronic administration of atorvastatin.
AffiliationCork University Hospital, Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, , Wilton, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Anticholesteremic Agents/administration & dosage/*pharmacology
Area Under Curve
Heptanoic Acids/administration & dosage/*pharmacology
Pyrroles/administration & dosage/*pharmacology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Anaesthesiol. 2003 Aug;20(8):662-7.
JournalEuropean journal of anaesthesiology
AbstractBACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Statins are prescribed for patients with hypercholesterolemia. Atorvastatin is metabolized by cytochrome P4503A4 and inhibits P4503A4 activity in vitro. Alfentanil is a potent opioid used in clinical anaesthetic practice and is also metabolized by P4503A4. This study tested the hypothesis that chronic atorvastatin administration inhibits the metabolism of alfentanil. METHODS: Sixteen patients undergoing elective surgery were studied as matched pairs. One member of each pair was maintained on standard doses of atorvastatin for at least 4 months. Each patient received an alfentanil bolus (80 microg kg(-1)) intravenously (i.v.), followed by an alfentanil infusion (0.67 microg kg(-1) min(-1)) for 90 min. Serial plasma alfentanil concentrations were measured using gas chromatography-nitrogen phosphorous detection. Pharmacokinetic parameters were calculated using two-compartment linear modelling. RESULTS: One patient and the corresponding match were excluded from the analysis. The elimination half-life of alfentanil was similar in the control and atorvastatin groups (98.8 +/- 12.4 versus 98.3 +/- 11.3 min, respectively). The clearance (Cl), volume of distribution at steady-state (Vdss) and area under the curve (AUC) were similar in the two groups (Cl = 0.20 (+/- 0.06) and 0.22 (+/- 0.04) L min(-1), Vdss = 0.38 (+/- 0.07) and 0.39 (+/- 0.07) L kg(-1), AUC = 0.05 (+/- 0.02) and 0.04 (+/- 0.01) mg min mL(-1)). CONCLUSIONS: Concurrent atorvastatin administration does not alter the pharmacokinetics of alfentanil in patients undergoing elective surgery.
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of propofol/alfentanil infusions for sedation in ICU patients.
- Authors: Frenkel C, Schuttler J, Ihmsen H, Heye H, Rommelsheim K
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- The effects of concurrent atorvastatin therapy on the pharmacokinetics of intravenous midazolam.
- Authors: Mc Donnell CG, Harte S, O'Driscoll J, O'Loughlin C, Van Pelt FN, Shorten GD
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Multiple-dose pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and safety of atorvastatin, an inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase, in healthy subjects.
- Authors: Cilla DD Jr, Whitfield LR, Gibson DM, Sedman AJ, Posvar EL
- Issue date: 1996 Dec
- Disposition and miotic effects of oral alfentanil: a potential noninvasive probe for first-pass cytochrome P4503A activity.
- Authors: Kharasch ED, Hoffer C, Walker A, Sheffels P
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Simultaneous assessment of drug interactions with low- and high-extraction opioids: application to parecoxib effects on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of fentanyl and alfentanil.
- Authors: Ibrahim AE, Feldman J, Karim A, Kharasch ED
- Issue date: 2003 Apr