Upregulation of neurokinin-1 receptor expression in the lungs of patients with sarcoidosis.
AuthorsO'Connor, Terence M
O'Brien, Darren I
Bennett, Michael W
Bredin, Charles P
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland., email@example.com
Epithelial Cells/drug effects/metabolism
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Clin Immunol. 2003 Sep;23(5):425-35.
JournalJournal of clinical immunology
AbstractSubstance P (SP) is a proinflammatory neuropeptide that is secreted by sensory nerves and inflammatory cells. Increased levels of SP are found in sarcoid bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. SP acts by binding to the neurokinin-1 receptor and increases secretion of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in many cell types. We sought to determine neurokinin-1 receptor expression in patients with sarcoidosis compared with normal controls. Neurokinin-1 receptor messenger RNA and protein expression were below the limits of detection by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction and immunohistochemistry in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of healthy volunteers (n = 9) or patients with stage 1 or 2 pulmonary sarcoidosis (n = 10), but were detected in 1/9 bronchoalveolar lavage cells of controls compared with 8/10 patients with sarcoidosis (p = 0.012) and 2/9 biopsies of controls compared with 9/10 patients with sarcoidosis (p = 0.013). Immunohistochemistry localized upregulated neurokinin-1 receptor expression to bronchial and alveolar epithelial cells, macrophages, lymphocytes, and sarcoid granulomas. The patient in whom neurokinin-1 receptor was not detected was taking corticosteroids. Incubation of the type II alveolar and bronchial epithelial cell lines A549 and SK-LU 1 with dexamethasone downregulated neurokinin-1 receptor expression. Upregulated neurokinin-1 receptor expression in patients with sarcoidosis may potentiate substance P-induced proinflammatory cytokine production in patients with sarcoidosis.
- Glucocorticoid receptor mRNA expression in pulmonary alveolar macrophages in sarcoidosis.
- Authors: Andersson O, Brönnegård M, Sonnenfeld T, Schmekel B, Lund J, Ripe E, Gustafsson JA
- Issue date: 1991 Jun
- Upregulation of neuropeptides and neuropeptide receptors in a murine model of immune inflammation in lung parenchyma.
- Authors: Kaltreider HB, Ichikawa S, Byrd PK, Ingram DA, Kishiyama JL, Sreedharan SP, Warnock ML, Beck JM, Goetzl EJ
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- Hypoxia upregulates lung microvascular neurokinin-1 receptor expression.
- Authors: Zee ED, Schomberg S, Carpenter TC
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Expression of macrophage inflammatory protein-3 beta/CCL19 in pulmonary sarcoidosis.
- Authors: Gibejova A, Mrazek F, Subrtova D, Sekerova V, Szotkowska J, Kolek V, du Bois RM, Petrek M
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 15
- The effect of CP96,345 on the expression of tachykinins and neurokinin receptors in acute pancreatitis.
- Authors: Lau HY, Bhatia M
- Issue date: 2006 Feb