An outcomes assessment of intra-articular calcaneal fractures, using patient and physician's assessment profiles.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Combined Modality Therapy
Fracture Fixation, Internal/methods
Surgical Wound Infection
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInjury. 2003 Dec;34(12):932-6.
AbstractThirty-six patients with intra-articular displaced calcaneal fractures were examined to determine both physician- and patient-based outcomes. Three groups were selected. Group A was treated with open reduction and internal fixation, group B was treated with open reduction internal fixation and supplemental bone graft augmentation and the patients in group C were treated with plaster cast immobilisation and no formal operative treatment. All cohorts were well matched for age, sex and severity of injury. Patients were evaluated using both the American Foot and Ankle Society Scoring System (AFASS) and the short form 36 (SF-36). Minimum time to follow up was 4 years. No significant difference was observed between the three groups with regards to pain and functional outcomes using the AFASS score (P>0.05). No difference was observed between the three groups using the SF-36 score (P>0.1). A statistically significant difference was observed, using radiological criteria, between both groups A and B when compared to the non-operative group C. The rate of wound infection in groups A and B was 31.5%. No correlation was found between the SF-36 score and the AFASS score. No correlation was found between the radiological score and either the SF-36 or the AFASS score. This study has found that the conservative treatment of calcaneal fractures can produce satisfactory outcomes with lower morbidity than surgically treated fractures.
- Operative compared with nonoperative treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: a prospective, randomized, controlled multicenter trial.
- Authors: Buckley R, Tough S, McCormack R, Pate G, Leighton R, Petrie D, Galpin R
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- Displaced intra-articular calcaneal fracture treated surgically with limited posterior incision.
- Authors: Park IH, Song KW, Shin SI, Lee JY, Kim TG, Park RS
- Issue date: 2000 Mar
- [Long-term results of calcaneal fracture treatment by open reduction and internal fixation using a calcaneal locking compression plate from an extended lateral approach].
- Authors: Zeman P, Zeman J, Matejka J, Koudela K
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Short-Term Outcomes of Open Reduction and Internal Fixation for Sanders Type III Calcaneal Fractures With and Without Bone Grafts.
- Authors: Cao H, Li YG, An Q, Gou B, Qian W, Guo XP, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2018 Jan - Feb
- Comparison of surgical outcomes of intra-articular calcaneal fractures by age.
- Authors: Gaskill T, Schweitzer K, Nunley J
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15