AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Cork University Hospital and University College Cork,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Neoplasm, Residual/drug therapy/*pathology
Surgical Procedures, Operative/*adverse effects
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLancet Oncol. 2003 Dec;4(12):760-8.
JournalThe lancet oncology
AbstractExcisional surgery is one of the primary treatment modalities for cancer. Minimal residual disease (MRD) is the occult neoplastic disease that remains in situ after curative surgery. There is increasing evidence that tumour removal alters the growth of MRD, leading to perioperative tumour growth. Because neoplasia is a systemic disease, this phenomenon may be relevant to all patients undergoing surgery for cancer. In this review we discuss the published work that addresses the effects of tumour removal on subsequent tumour growth and the mechanisms by which tumour excision may alter residual tumour growth. In addition, we describe therapeutic approaches that may protect patients against any oncologically adverse effects of tumour removal. On the basis of the evidence presented, we propose a novel therapeutic paradigm; that the postoperative period represents a window of opportunity during which the patient may be further protected against the oncological effects of tumour removal.
- Cancer surgery: risks and opportunities.
- Authors: Coffey JC, Smith MJ, Wang JH, Bouchier-Hayes D, Cotter TG, Redmond HP
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Treatment of minimal residual disease after surgery or chemotherapy in mice carrying HPV16-associated tumours: Cytokine and gene therapy with IL-2 and GM-CSF.
- Authors: Mikysková R, Indrová M, Símová J, Jandlová T, Bieblová J, Jinoch P, Bubeník J, Vonka V
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Surgery, wound healing, and metastasis: recent insights and clinical implications.
- Authors: Ceelen W, Pattyn P, Mareel M
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Surgical trauma, minimal residual disease and locoregional cancer recurrence.
- Authors: Ceelen WP, Morris S, Paraskeva P, Pattyn P
- Issue date: 2007
- [Rational of oncological surgery in multimodality treatment of cancers].
- Authors: Elias D
- Issue date: 2006 Aug