The effect of aspirin on blood loss and transfusion requirements in patients with femoral neck fractures.
AuthorsManning, Brian J
Cahill, Ronan A
Redmond, H Paul
AffiliationDepartment of Academic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. , firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Anti-Inflammatory Agents, Non-Steroidal/*adverse effects
*Blood Loss, Surgical
Femoral Neck Fractures/blood/*surgery
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInjury. 2004 Feb;35(2):121-4.
AbstractAlthough it is widely accepted that aspirin will increase the risk of intra- and post-operative bleeding, clinical studies have not consistently supported this assumption. We aimed to assess the effect of pre-operative aspirin on blood loss and transfusion requirements in patients undergoing emergency fixation of femoral neck fractures. A prospective case-control study was undertaken in patients presenting with femoral neck fractures. Parameters recorded included intra-operative blood loss, post-operative blood loss, transfusion requirements and peri-operative reduction in haemoglobin concentration. Of 89 patients presenting with femoral neck fractures 32 were on long-term aspirin therapy. Pre-operative aspirin ingestion did not significantly affect peri-operative blood loss, or change in haemoglobin concentration or haematocrit. However those patients taking aspirin pre-operatively had a significantly lower haemoglobin concentration and haematocrit and were more likely to be anaemic at presentation than those who were not receiving aspirin. Patients taking aspirin were also more likely to receive blood transfusion post-operatively.
- The effect of the grade of surgeon on blood loss in fractured neck-of-femur surgery.
- Authors: Rose B, Sindali K, Soueid H, Jeer PJ
- Issue date: 2013 May
- The association between aspirin and blood loss in hip fracture patients.
- Authors: Kennedy MT, Roche S, Fleming SM, Lenehan B, Curtin W
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Blood transfusion requirements in intracapsular femoral neck fractures.
- Authors: Levi N
- Issue date: 1996 Dec
- Blood use in urgent operations for patients with fractures of the femoral neck.
- Authors: Robbins J, Steingold RF
- Issue date: 1986 Jul
- Internal fixation of intra-capsular proximal femoral fractures in patients older than 80 years: Still relevant? Multivariate analysis of a prospective multicentre cohort.
- Authors: Reina N, Bonnevialle P, Rubens Duval B, Adam P, Loubignac F, Favier T, Massin P, SoFCOT.
- Issue date: 2017 Feb