Further neuroendocrine evidence of enhanced vasopressin V3 receptor responses in melancholic depression.
AffiliationDepartment of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University College Cork, Cork, University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland.
MeSHAdrenocorticotropic Hormone/*blood/drug effects
Deamino Arginine Vasopressin/*pharmacology
Depressive Disorder, Major/*metabolism
Receptors, Vasopressin/blood/*drug effects
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPsychol Med. 2004 Jan;34(1):169-72.
AbstractBACKGROUND: In situations of chronic stress vasopressin plays an important role in regulating the hypothalamic-pituitary adrenal axis. The aim of the current study was to investigate the role of anterior pituitary vasopressin V3 receptors in maintaining the hypercortisolism seen in melancholic depression. METHOD: Fourteen patients with major depression and 14 age- and sex-matched healthy comparison subjects were recruited. Desmopressin (ddAVP) 10 microg was given intravenously and ACTH and cortisol release was monitored for 120 min. RESULTS: The mean +/- S.E.M. ACTH response in the depressives was 28.4 +/- 4.3 ng/l and in the healthy subjects was 18.8 +/- 4.9 ng/l (P = 0.04). The mean +/- S.E.M. cortisol response in the depressives was 261.8 +/- 46.5 nmol/l and in the healthy subjects was 107.3 +/- 26.1 nmol/l (P < 0.01). CONCLUSIONS: Patients with major depression have augmented ACTH and cortisol responses to desmopressin indicating enhanced V3 responsivity.
- Desmopressin normalizes the blunted adrenocorticotropin response to corticotropin-releasing hormone in melancholic depression: evidence of enhanced vasopressinergic responsivity.
- Authors: Dinan TG, Lavelle E, Scott LV, Newell-Price J, Medbak S, Grossman AB
- Issue date: 1999 Jun
- Desmopressin augments pituitary-adrenal responsivity to corticotropin-releasing hormone in subjects with chronic fatigue syndrome and in healthy volunteers.
- Authors: Scott LV, Medbak S, Dinan TG
- Issue date: 1999 Jun 1
- Desmopressin and low-dose ACTH test in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Foppiani L, Cutolo M, Sessarego P, Sulli A, Prete C, Seriolo B, Giusti M
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Lack of effect of desmopressin on ACTH and cortisol responses to ovine corticotropin-releasing hormone in anorexia nervosa.
- Authors: Foppiani L, Sessarego P, Valenti S, Falivene MR, Cuttica CM, Giusti Disem M
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- Hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal cortical responses to low-dose physostigmine and arginine vasopressin administration: sex differences between major depressives and matched control subjects.
- Authors: Rubin RT, O'Toole SM, Rhodes ME, Sekula LK, Czambel RK
- Issue date: 1999 Dec 13