Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Ireland: epidemiological aspects 1980-2002.
AffiliationDepartment of Neuropathology, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur Neurol. 2004;51(3):132-7. Epub 2004 Feb 26.
AbstractSurveillance for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) has been carried out in the Republic of Ireland since 1980. Initial surveillance was passive and based on consented autopsy confirmation of CJD in patients in whom there was a high index of clinical suspicion. Since 1999, an active surveillance programme involving formal notification of all suspect CJD cases has been in place. The annual mortality rate has increased from 0.34 cases/million in 1980 to 1.27 cases/million in 2001. In all, 29 cases have been pathologically confirmed: 1 had variant CJD (vCJD), 1 had iatrogenic human growth hormone-induced CJD and 1 had fatal insomnia. Sporadic CJD (sCJD) accounted for the remainder. This paper details the change in incidence over 22 years as the surveillance programme in Ireland got under way; the increased incidence is attributed to better case ascertainment, as has occurred in other countries where active surveillance programmes have been established.
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease surveillance in Argentina, 1997-2008.
- Authors: Begué C, Martinetto H, Schultz M, Rojas E, Romero C, D'Giano C, Sevlever G, Somoza M, Taratuto AL
- Issue date: 2011
- Description and analysis of 12 years of surveillance for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Denmark, 1997 to 2008.
- Authors: Gubbels S, Bacci S, Laursen H, Hogenhaven H, Cowan S, Molbak K, Christiansen M
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 12
- Enhanced geographically restricted surveillance simulates sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease cluster.
- Authors: Klug GM, Wand H, Boyd A, Law M, Whyte S, Kaldor J, Masters CL, Collins S
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Germany: a prospective 12-year surveillance.
- Authors: Heinemann U, Krasnianski A, Meissner B, Varges D, Kallenberg K, Schulz-Schaeffer WJ, Steinhoff BJ, Grasbon-Frodl EM, Kretzschmar HA, Zerr I
- Issue date: 2007 May
- A case-control study of sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Switzerland: analysis of potential risk factors with regard to an increased CJD incidence in the years 2001-2004.
- Authors: Ruegger J, Stoeck K, Amsler L, Blaettler T, Zwahlen M, Aguzzi A, Glatzel M, Hess K, Eckert T
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 14