AffiliationDepartment of Academic Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. , email@example.com
MeSHEvaluation Studies as Topic
Information Storage and Retrieval
*Practice Guidelines as Topic/standards
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Surg. 2004 Aug;91(8):956-64.
JournalThe British journal of surgery
AbstractBACKGROUND: Clinical guidelines are increasingly used in patient management but few clinicians are familiar with their origin or appropriate application. METHODS: A Medline search using the terms 'clinical guidelines' and 'practice guidelines' was conducted. Additional references were sourced by manual searching from the bibliographies of articles located. RESULTS AND CONCLUSION: Clinical guidelines originated in the USA in the early 1980s, initially as a cost containment exercise. Significant improvements in the process and outcomes of care have been demonstrated following their introduction, although the extent of improvement varies considerably. The principles for the development of guidelines are well established but many published guidelines fall short of these basic quality criteria. Guidelines are only one aspect of improving quality and should be used within a wider framework of promoting clinical effectiveness. Understanding their limitations as well as their potential benefits should enable clinicians to have a clearer view of their place in everyday practice.
- Evidence-based medicine, systematic reviews, and guidelines in interventional pain management, part I: introduction and general considerations.
- Authors: Manchikanti L
- Issue date: 2008 Mar-Apr
- Review of occupational medicine practice guidelines for interventional pain management and potential implications.
- Authors: Manchikanti L, Singh V, Derby R, Helm S 2nd, Trescot AM, Staats PS, Prager JP, Hirsch JA
- Issue date: 2008 May-Jun
- An introduction to an evidence-based approach to interventional techniques in the management of chronic spinal pain.
- Authors: Manchikanti L, Singh V, Helm S 2nd, Schultz DM, Datta S, Hirsch JA, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.
- Issue date: 2009 Jul-Aug
- Reassessment of evidence synthesis of occupational medicine practice guidelines for interventional pain management.
- Authors: Manchikanti L, Singh V, Derby R, Schultz DM, Benyamin RM, Prager JP, Hirsch JA
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Aug
- Searching for evidence-based medicine in wound care: an introduction.
- Authors: Ryan S, Perrier L, Sibbald RG
- Issue date: 2003 Nov